This is appalling

I was a professional photographer for years, in analog times. When I started digital photography, I had Photoshop, of course, and it worked well. But Gimp always appealed to me, and eventually I switched completely. And that was very good, especially since I switched completely to Linux two years ago.
With Gimp I can do everything, everything I want and everything I need. AI doesn’t interest me at all in image editing. If I wanted such standardized, artificial looking and perfectly made photos, I would buy them as postcards or posters. I don’t need them.

When I take photos, I see a challenge: my intention, the subject, the camera, the light, etc. And these I want to harmonize with my mood. There I would feel completely patronized if an image editor makes me my pictures according to their ideas. Nothing for me.

I love Gimp and I will work with Gimp as long as it is possible, I hope forever.

And darktabel is great, even more: sometimes a little too great, so I reach for my favorite: RawTherapee, or ART. But all three are so good that no human would need more than what these programs offer.

How nice that there are people who develop these free programs.

Big thanks to the creators.

6 Likes

So true. Funny thing is when you look at, e.g. Instagram, you can nowadays often see which AI pattern/software was used. :wink:

You didn’t pay for it, then it’s obviously a low quality thing…

My favorite example is people editing pictures to upload them on social media, where they don’t look as good as in their picture editor.

• When they used Photoshop, the problem is obviously with the free browser if they use Firefox.
  • When they used Gimp, the problem is obviously with Gimp.

Until you tell them to download the image from the site and compare it with the image they uploaded…

2 Likes

Not sure why he moved the Gimp tutorials to another channel, but might be related to ad money. Income really depends of type of content. Finance pays way more that gaming, cooking beats both. Commercial software will pay more than Open Source.

I haven’t touched Gimp for long time. Affinity I use sometimes. Talking about discounts, the v2 discount ends Jan 25th. So far I use the free trial. And BTW current owners do not get any discount. Does v2 AI has any AI function?

1 Like

Probably under the hood. But not officially marketed/advertised.

But I have to say that I prefer Affinity to Gimp. It is simply a matter of taste.

I am end user and I think it’s good. Depends probably where you come from. I started editing with darktable some years ago. I am used to it. If you come from Photoshop (or whatever other software) GUI, workflow is very different, some may lack patience to invest the time to learn it.

To give an example, I find it strange to work with layers (Affinity), I prefer the darktable way for straight raw edits.

Plus “click bait” titles (eg “Gimp is Dead!”) for YouTube videos generates views, and for a monetised channel, $$.

3 Likes

You may want to give Siril a try.

2 Likes

After all, the real problem is not that Gimp tutorials disappear from a website.
The question is why? Commercial face point? Probably.
But the big question is looking into the future: If I can continue to use Gimp as it is today - then all is well. If Gimp is further developed, even better. But, … but what if Gimp gives up the ghost? If we could no longer use Gimp in the near future? That would be bitter for many. And that’s what I’m all about. What are the alternatives on Linux?
May Gimp live forever.

1 Like

I know I’m going to be that guy, but the best alternative there is Krita. Quite flexible in the non-destructive department. It’s missing foreground extraction and a bit of filters (could be bypassed with G’MIC), but that’s about it. Krita is what I use as it actually offers non-destructive editing, and I prefer that to none of it even if there is more stuff on other categories. There’s some that use it for better color space support too.

I’ve seen this guy’s tutorials and he comes off as condescending and egotistical too much of the time. This video is no exception. Sounds like someone is trying to get an Adobe sponsorship.

2 Likes

Yes, he struck me as very unsympathetic, so I am reluctant to trust his statements. He obviously has intentions that he does not mention. I have a strong impression that he is not interested in Gimp itself at all.
But at least he has generated a lively and interesting discussion. We can be happy about that.

1 Like

It’s been installed for a year. :slight_smile:

[ edit ] Along with DeepSkyStacker… I was making headway for a while! LOL

Thanks.

1 Like

So is the Trans Pecos in southwest Texas. 5k to 8k feet elevation, humidity often under 15%. Jeff Davis county has a population density (last I looked) of one per square mile. My kind of place.

1 Like

My point on this is he has the sponsorship already, i’ll bet adobe is
paying him to make his videos go away.

4 Likes

Take a look here for how dark you can find, there or anywhere else:

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

3 Likes

Nice site, Glenn…thanks for posting.

1 Like

Yep, seen that one. I like this one, too: https://www.lightpollutionmap.info

2 Likes

So, two YouTubers I’ve never heard of with small ~30K subscriber channels declare 25+ year old open source project dead? OK.

9 Likes

:+1: :+1: spot on!

1 Like