This is appalling

I really doubt the name would be much of an issue if Gimp was better than PS, folk who cared about it then would probably just use its full name rather than not use it. It’s something that gets added on for some reason? Fork and change the name.

I agree there’s lots of issues worthy of a proper disccusion but this YouTuber is not doing that as we’ve listed above.

Its going to be a long time before anything in a web browser is better than a local app, especially for professionals. Color management is a real issue in web browsers and is really a non-starter.

If all you want to do is crop and a light edit, sure, you can do that on your phone as well, but that isn’t “professional” and won’t cut it for people who need to generate income.

Except they say the opposite of that: that it’s bad and needs to be fixed.

Floating selection is pretty much gone in 2.99.

IMO, obviously it’s not the best name and is for me initially a bit cringe-worthy when introducing the product to a newbie. First sentence is to introduce GIMP. The next fifty are kinda sheepishly “yeah, I know” and try to explain the somewhat-insider name.*

It’s never been offensive to me but I may be unaware and/or come from a more thick-skinned era (or whatever). However, the “cripple” connotation is hard to ignore (others may differ). Kinda like going to a dealership to check out the brand new shiny red 2023 Ferarri Snail … :smiley:

* To fully explain why GIMP is called GIMP, one must go back to RMS, “Gnu’s not unix”, work forward from there and watch others go glassy-eyed. To be fair, GIMP is generally from the same era as lots of other “platform-tagged” software. I mean we’ve had, what… x<whatever>, g<whatever>, k<whatever>, q<whatever>, mac<whatever>, win<whatever> … did I miss anything?

Point being, at some point the software becomes a tool and no one (other than us :slight_smile:) really cares about its framework. And then the cute name is no longer cute.

I’d vote to change it but as pointed out elsewhere that’s a can of worms, too, so…

Give it a soft G. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We were watching “Last Man Standing” reruns last night (Tim Allen show chock full of political impropriety) and the episode had Mandy’s environmental guerilla boyfriend touting his membership in “PFART”, a fictitious environmental organization. “The F is silent!”, he lamented. “Silent but deadly”, retorts Mandy’s mother… :laughing:

Heck, my wife and friends were sitting around one day relating the meaning of their names. I walked by, was asked “Glenn, what does your name mean?” I had to answer, “Well, I think it’s a shallow depression…”

What’s in a name? Everything…

3 Likes

Does that mean I’m in the middle of a shallow depression? Or just depressed and shallow? :smiley:

1 Like

OK, I’ll use JIMP to open JIFs … or something like that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Occasionally depressed. Always shallow. :crazy_face:

Issue resolved:

JIMP

Happy to do my bit. :wink:

2 Likes

You betcha! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok, but I’m not calling a Jeep, a “Geep”… :crazy_face::laughing:

I believe many things around how we use words have changed over the last few decades.

If schools dont use gimp because…

One problem I see is that Adobe can give much, much better discounts :wink: It’s funny, but a good discount is more attractive to most than something free.

True, but what I meant was in my culture / vocabulary growing up, the word gimp was just a term for “damaged” or “crippled” and actually rarely heard. It had no derogatory connotations I’m aware of. I’m not saying that’s true across the board.

Odd that not one poster so far has said “the GIMP” unless I missed it :frowning: