Timelapse Exposure Ramping

Hi
I shoot multiple pics and then stick them together in avisynth etc., with vdub and other video tools. However before that I process the pictures to taste and then export them to full HD images.
Normally, all Images get same setting, but in some cases I need to do “ramping”. I.e. gradually change exposure across RAW images when doing a night-day or day-night timelapse.

Is there a plugin/feature available in RAWTHERAPEE to do that where you edit first and last Image and then all images in between are edited with settings following a linear or custom curve?

For example. First Image -1 EV, Final Image +1 EV
If curve is linear then sequence can be
-1 -0.9 -0.8…
However you can have slower changes initally and then faster later (Change like mathematical curve)

I could not find much online. I currently use lightroom with Panolapse to do so, however would like to move to RT

I don’t think there is a specific feature to do so, but there is a script and some instructions here: GitHub - cyberang3l/timelapse-deflicker: Simple script to deflicker images taken for timelapses and Joe Giampaoli: Time-lapse Photography with Linux

The author uses darktable, but you can just as easily use RT, then you run the deflicker perl script.

I am not trying to deflicker. That is easily doable with virtualdub plugins etc., I am doing exposure ramping or color ramping

There was a program which did that by interacting with RawTherapee:
GitHub - ivynetca/lapsestudio: Automatically exported from code.google.com/p/lapsestudio
http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7334

1 Like

Thanks! I have tried to contact the Author. This is about 4 years old now when you go by last checkin. Due to low usage of RT then, I guess the developer did not get much response

i had a bit of a play with that software. I spent a fair bit of time getting it to read the pp3 files, but never succeeded in actually using it.

I guess that’s the thing with software developed in people’s spare time… :slight_smile:

This is something easy to do with a video editor. You can use Aviutl (free example) to do this. It can load an Avisynth script. Just apply the color correction filter and key in the exposure curve across the video.

simple example…

bee_spider