Tiny LBB build Question

so I am trying to understand HOW To get the files, backed up to the INTERNAL micro SD card.
YEP, I did hope when using the INTERNAL backup script, it would just make a folder on the main micro SD card, for me to pop in a computer and get…this was normal to me…now I see that is not what it does…

so I want to use the INTERNAL save script…but really don’t know how to assess these saved files…so for now I will have to just back up to external SD card, as at least I can find the pictures I have saved, in a way I understand…:slight_smile:

Hm, still I do not exactly understand what you want to do. As I understood, the internal sd card is the one that is used by the pi to boot its OS. This card is formatted with a linux file system. From what you write, I assume you are trying to put this card into a windows machine? This will not give you “direct” access to the files, as windows cannot mount the pi’s file system. Is it correct what I assume?

1 Like

thx for the help, I want to use the Camera backup

or the Internal backup, " Automatically backs up the contents of a storage card to the internal storage. ’

please how do I then get these saved pics??? that I just backed up??? if I save them to external SD< I just pop that in the PC and get my RAW files…BUT if i save them to the internal micro SD card using the INTERNAL BACKUP script, how do I then find or use this files I just backed up???

I use another SD card in a USB reader for this. The one that’s in the slot on the underside should really be left alone for this purpose…

As the files are stored on the file system of the pi, there are several opportunities. If you have ssh access to the pi, you can fetch them over the network by one of the methods I wrote above. Or you could plug the card into a linux computer. Or you can go a complicated route to have a card that has a windows readable part and the boot system of the pi, configuered in a way that the images are accessible from windows. I don’t know if the third way would work, but it will be for sure complicated. Baybe there is a fourth way, teaching windows the linux file system of the card, but I did something similar at work a while ago and it was a mess. Maybe it’s easier today, maybe with the linux on windows opportunities microsoft introduced recently (“wsl”, windows sub system for linux”), but not sure if that will work.

sure, I do that at the moment, but would love to know how to use the two other scrips…the INTERNAL SAVE scripts :grinning:

OK, thx again, I thought that there might be a quick and easy way to extract the files, that were saved using the internal save scripts, I read all the manuals, but could not find how to find these files…so for beginners it looks like External saving is lots easier…that will be OK for me…thx again Chris!!

do you think we could use the CAMERA backup script, and change the location to point to not internal save, but external SD save???

IIRC I read that it is possible to enable smb file sharing via samba on lbb. Maybe this is the most simple solution for you. smb is a native windows protocol, and you could use your pi from your windows machine as you would use any other network file system on windows. The requirements would be that your windows machine and the pi are on the same network, and that samba is running and giving access to the files. Here somebody with lbb experience (or the lbb documentation) have to step in, as I have no experience with lbb. Still, I can imagine that this is much more convenient for you than using an additional card with an additional card reader.

1 Like

Little Backup Box comes with a Samba server enabled. So if you want to transfer the photos and RAW files backed up to the internal card, you can simply access Little Backup Box as a regular Windows share on a Windows machine. There are plenty of other options, too. Google for “transfer files from Linux via ssh” or similar.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

thanks!!!

thx again!! Samba is the way thru for internal saves!!! thx again DMPOP!!

The root of a linux filesystem contains a lot of folders which contain all of the programmes and settings files for the operating system.

It’s not usual to give an ordinary user access to these files without requiring a password, to ensure you don’t break the system.

There’s a directory called /home, in which each user has a directory (in this case /home/pi/) - this is where each user saves his files.

If the Samba server already shares /home/pi/BACKUP, then that’s probably your easiest way as it’s built in to Windows. Other methods could include using SCP (file copy over SSH).

1 Like

yes simon, I know don’t stuff with the OS files…ahahah, but for MAX learning on this project, I need to also learn to use the two internal save scripts…so I can make the tiny tiny version as well…for FUN!!!

last night I did a quick ping of the samba config, as shown on other places…it it was not there…so will have to dig a little deeper into it…I know its setup…so just need to find where I jump in to get the windows side working…thx again for the explain!!! every bit help a NEWB!!

so I did some building, make a fast copy LBB and a smaller versions w a zero, zero4U USB hub, both systems show ‘heartbeat’ the RPi4 build works amazing, the zero version won’t mount anything

both micro SD cards and software builds work in the RPi4, so its not software, its all working great, and the heartbeat stat light shows this.

must be the USB hub…or is there some more config i need to do to make the hub mounts stuff on the zero build, thx again, great fun and I am learning!!!

Could I just ask where you got that OLED as it’s a much neater solution than mine?

in reply to:
must be the USB hub…or is there some more config i need to do to make the hub mounts stuff on the zero build, thx again, great fun and I am learning!!!

In the config file, there’s a line that defines where it’s expecting your inserted storage to be mounted. If you plug in the USB then run from the commandline:
mount
It will show the mounted filesystems. You can see which device name linux has assigned to your USB storage. it will look like:
/dev/sdb1
You can then change the config file to match.

here are some more pics of the OLED screen, its a adafruit one (PIOLED), easy to get, I had to remove the header, it just cuts off…I then had to hard wire…so its now better fit…sat too high w stock header fitted…

my issue is I can’t SSH in as the USB hub disables the zero side USB… on USB side, its won’t SSH…maybe I could swap over to Zero W, and SSH via wifi…anway, thx so much for the lead on the mount change…I will get to work…I am a bit poor on this side, but good on the CAD side, and this smaller build, will be well cased…and all build details will be showen and given here…

OK not sure if this 32 is supported, it was shown by DMPOP, but now I have read LBB has moved to 64 oled, and now, 32 does not scroll correctly…sometimes it comes up good…but most of the time it is not correct…I think I need to force it to 32 mode on this build…I think DMPOP has now moved to 64 size OLED…so some help here would also be great simon

/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1966356k,nr_inodes=183434,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=28,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
sunrpc on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /media/storage type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=400028k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)

so is this what I looking for?? then how do I make the change, go to root via PC w micro mounted in reader, or SSH in to make change to mounted drive??

OK so SSH in via wifi…I can get to the mount info now…:slight_smile:

FOR OTHER NEWBEs I created a text file in the root of the micro SD card named ’ wpa_supplicant.conf’
and added the below text

country=AU
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
	ssid="MyWiFiNetwork"
	psk="aVeryStrongPassword"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

the one on the build guide did NOT work for me…not sure why

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid=“SSID”
psk=“password”
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN

do you think I need to force the 32 oled to work using this:

The Adafruit examples assume you have a 128×32 screen. They still run with a 128×64 pixel screen but it is better to change them before you move onto anything more complicated. To do this simply edit the scripts and disable the 128×32 config line by placing a # character at the front, and enable the 128×64 line by deleting the # character from the front. The section in the script should now look like this :

I2C OLED Display Python Examples

This step becomes essential if you want to start creating your own images to display on the screen.

where would I find this to adjust???