Today, we might have first ever photo of a blackhole.

ESO will announce something about center of our Milky Way, which is the location of a blackhole that they have been trying to photograph for many years now.

Vox have a good summary here:

1 Like

While we are waiting, the DLR (German Aerospace Center (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt)) has a new photo from the Asteroid Ryugu:
https://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-10212/332_read-29104/#/gallery/31505

I’m sorry guys, they announce it already but it is not about photo of black hole but effect of blackhole on star nearby.
https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1825/

Closer to home, there is a moon eclipse tonight:

Well, they actually captured photon beams and measured their wavelengths to observe the red shift, so it photography. Just with much bigger and complex camera(s) than ours…

It is another day in the lab for the scientist. To me, the announcement says: we have better tech than before; we can and know how to store the data, which comes in at increasing robustness and frequency; we can transfer, synthesize and analyze it; and we would like you to be interested in what we do.

2 Likes

This is the way we do it in science! Press releases to help keep public enthusiasm up. Seems to be working better in Europe and Asia than here in America though. :frowning:

What I see is light from a :dizzy: getting its space-time continuum warpage on. The supermassive :hole: is sucking in all the space, elongating the wavelengths. Que classic graph of general relativity.

Time keeps marching for us, so we notice a redshift. General relativity.

Also note the Event Horizon Telescope has imaged the event horizon of SgrA* over the past several years using a global array of radio(1) telescopes. As of now they are processing the data which had to be flown to an 800-node 40G supercomputing grid. Given the heft of that machine we should get visuals someday soon.

(1) Light is blocked by 25 orders of extinction worth of cosmic dust.