torsioned dead tree in autumn

On a walk I found this dead tree, killed by a storm, with its interesting torsioned structure. Now back at home, i am struggling by emphasising these structures without overcooking the rest of the pic.
Looking forward, what you will do out of this.

_DSC4647.ARW (24,4 MB)
_DSC4647.jpg.out.pp3 (21,8 KB)

License: Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Hope, you will have fun

Martin

2 Likes

Interesting image. My attempt DT4.4.2

Snapshot showing before (left) / after (right).

Doesn’t seem too different to yours.

_DSC4647.ARW.xmp (19.6 KB)

3 Likes

My version…

_DSC4647.ARW.xmp (21.0 KB)

5 Likes

I just got the entire image looking about the way I wanted, then added a long, skinny, oval mask on the tree trunk. Then I tried to bring out more detail in the tree with Color Balance RGB.

dt 4.4.2

_DSC4647_01.ARW.xmp (10.2 KB)

5 Likes

Probably not the most realistic, but I tried to minimize the side effects. Either local contrast and / or texture boost could be dialed back on tree if desired.

ART 1.20.22

_DSC4647.ARW.arp (72.7 KB)

4 Likes

Tricky to separate the tree trunk from the background. I opted for an exposure of -1EV in Filmulator then in GIMP made slight adjustments with luminosity masking.

4 Likes

_DSC4647.ARW.xmp (14.9 KB)
I think the texture is great for BW conversion. Took a bit time to draw the path though.
DT 4.5.0+787~gaf0975cca0

2 Likes

To all: thanks a lot for your thougts and suggestions.

@Roger.Wilco even you say, it doesn’t seem too different to my version, you managed a more beautiful blue sky

@dqpcoxeas this is a is very powerful edit

@Tim seems the oval mask is doing the trick

@lphilpot the structure is very clear and you managed a more realistic sky than i remember :wink:

@david, i agree, the separation from background helps to make the structure more visible

@sean_liu youre right, the b/w version helps a lot to emphasise the tree

With all your hints and thoughts in mind i gave it a second try :

_DSC4647-2.jpg.out.pp3 (16,9 KB)

_DSC4647-bw.jpg.out.pp3 (16,9 KB)

again: Thanks a lot to everybody!

Martin

7 Likes

_DSC4647.ARW.xmp (11.3 KB)

5 Likes

Another play to separate the tree trunk from the background, in hindsight greatly overdone. But an opportunity to try other techniques.

2 Likes

That’s because I cheated. :slight_smile: I manually skewed the sky color a little more blue and then pulled up the sat just a touch.

2 Likes

Such a total with a lot of contrast is tough. But this edit is my favorite.

Another version…

_DSC4647.ARW.xmp (25.7 KB)

3 Likes