first of all thanks for this great project!
I use a Pi 3B at the moment and i am a little disappointed about the transfer speeds i get.
What can i do to get better results or is this already maxed out?
What do i copy?
- 2 GB of Videodata (8 Files) from a Sandisk U3 Card using a UNI USB-C Thunderbold 3 Cardreader
Where do i copy it to?
- I use a Sharkoon Quickstore Pro USB 2.0 Enclosure with a HDD (exFAT)
What are the results?
The results are about 15 Megabytes / s.
What did i try to make it faster?
- used a Samsung EVO SSD instead of a HDD in the enclosure
- formatted the HDD to ext4 instead of exFat
- tried to copy a USB 3.1 Stick instead of a sd card (to see if the sd card reader is slow)
The results were always the same. I didn’t get more than 16 Megabytes per second.
I wonder if i should buy the Pi 4 but i tested it with a Pi 4 of a friend (but only the constellation with my UNI Card Reader with the U3 card coping to the SSD in the enclosure) and the speed was the same! I know the enclosure is only USB 2.0 but USB 2.0 Fullspeed is a lot more than 15MB/s.
On the other hand i read blog articles where people copy 50GB in 15minutes.
So what do you guys suggest?