Translate Lightroom instructions to Darktable

Well, thank you, Todd! I really appreciate that. I stopped making videos around the time darktable 3.0 came out. There was so much new stuff happening in darktable and at the same time I was quite busy with life, so I couldn’t learn it all quickly enough. I felt I had to relearn so much. And by that time Bruce was well established as the goto source and Boris came along with his wealth of knowledge, so I felt that there was no point in continuing. Also, I have become very active in my local photography club, so I don’t really have the time any more.

1 Like

I am surprised anyone has the time that is why it is so important that we those that do give of their time to help others out by sharing skills, knowledge and experience.

I think when it still fun and on your terms then people will make videos but I think then you start to feel the need to make video’s not for yourself to fill a demand….

I ‘m glad you are out taking pictures……

1 Like

Actually, I find it very useful to follow along with other people’s edits in darktable. While individual sliders certainly don’t translate well from {DxO Photolab,Lightroom,Capture One}, the general objectives are generally very applicable.

Of course care has to be taken to understand the different philosophies, e.g. when Capture One users prefer to use brightness over exposure to prevent highlights from burning, which is done differently in darktable.

4 Likes

It might be of interest to see how a three-step-darktable-solution handles the image.

• Step 1: in lighttable, merge the three images into an hdr-dng.
  • Step 2: in darkroom invoke the Initial Workflow lua script, written by @Ulrich_Gesing.
  • Step 3: export result:

And between steps 2 and 3, feel free to tweak whatever you like.

More script info here: Working with modules from Lua scripts in darktable - #42 by Ulrich_Gesing

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

5 Likes

The video is finished:

13 Likes

It was extremely insightful seeing you replicate those edits, and comparing them to the original video’s editing steps. Well done, and thank you!

2 Likes

Here is my attempt on Christian’s raw (postcard style). Now I will fully
watch Christian’s and Boris videos.

DSC00773.ARW.xmp (37.2 KB)

The script is a bit broken in the master for now… some of the module renaming stuff I think. I did mention that to Ulrich but he didn’t have access to the master only 4.2… but its a sweet little tool for sure esp if he can fix it for the updated code and in particular with the unification of the workflow settings in preferences you can use this to work with that to set wb and CC as you want…