Tree at sunset in an open field

IMG_0087.CR2 (20.7 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

My first attempt to upload a photo file was a bust. I am trying again and hopefully I can get it to upload. I see the IMG_0087.CR2 file and the IMG_0087.jpeg file but no pic. Anyway if nothing shows up just let me know.

This was a picture I took at sunset and tried to process it. Feel free to process it correctly and post your results so I can see what a properly processed photo should look like.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Dicky,

Sorry: there is no such thing as a “correct” process.
It’s a matter of taste – or lack of taste :-)))

Here is one way of handling it:

IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (8.2 KB)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

Tree at sunset in an open field_IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (10.2 KB)

IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (17.9 KB)

Here is an extreme interpretation - done in GIMP. This probably demonstrates a lack of taste!!!

Actually I like the green grass. That is something we don’t see often in Texas during the summer months.

So far I like your interpretation the best. The light clouds grab my attention where the other edits have flat looking skies. However, I wonder what the scene looked like when you took it?

Hi James,
just downloaded the image and still like your edit. However, can I make a suggestion about the camera settings. You used 100 ISO and 1/8th of second shutter speed. The slow shutter speed has resulted in blur. Put the ISO up to a minimum of 400 or even higher to facilitate quicker shutter speeds. Don’t be scared of ISO noise. Blurred subject is a bigger sin than noise which can often be dealt with in the processing. Have fun with Darktable or what ever software you use.

My version with darktable 4.0.0

I tried to focus on the sky with a crop.

IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (20.2 KB)

Hi Dicky,
Thanks for the picture! Glad the upload worked this time :slightly_smiling_face:
Here’s my version.
Let me know if you want more details of what I’ve done, or of course you can download the .xmp file to apply yourself (if you are using dt 4.0).
Edit: sorry I forgot to upload the files :thinking:

IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (10.5 KB)

I think this is more how I wanted it - just a bit more saturation and exposure :grinning:

IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (11.3 KB) But I’m on my laptop - I’m starting to feel this might look a bit overcooked on a proper monitor…

2 Likes

Hi all,
First of all, I’m a newbie here, and also with darktable as I think I’m starting to undestand now its features.
In my editing I mainly worked separately with the sky and grass. I wanted to warm the green of the grass.
For the sky I addes some bluish to the shadows of the clouds and some reddish for the highlights.
Globally, I addes some crominance and saturation in the shadows, and some local contrast.
I used previous version of dt: 3.8.1

IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (21.5 KB)

Hope you will like it.

Maurizio from Italy

1 Like

Thanks for the photo. My take

IMG_0087.CR2.xmp (64.5 KB)

My take as well, on darktable 4.0. This is also my first post on this forum (I didn’t see the usual self-introduction thread, is there such a thing here?).

I tried to be tasteful but ended up using more extreme settings than I’m used to… I guess the picture required it. This has also been an opportunity for me to ditch the old habit of using masked exposure modules when the tone equalizer can do a better job of equalizing areas that are a lot more/less exposed than one another.

3 Likes