Two defects: No filename, no settings

to:rawtherapee
re:two obvious defects
Tue 4/30/2019 8:57 am

Both of these occur when rawtherape is started in standalone mode, with just a file name, i.e. “rawtherapee IMG_3972.cr2”:

1. There is no file name on the display.

2. There is no way to access the settings.

These AREN’T bugs; they’re defects. I don’t plan to install GIT in my forehead so I can report them, but it would be nice if they were corrected, because it’d make it much easier to use a third-party browser, i.e. XNVIEW etc.

– cordially
jgo * owenlabs.org

What’s the difference?

You don’t need git to report a bug, just an account at github.

Actually what you are doing is launching a slimmed-down mode—no bug or defect, as this was by design to save RAM. Defeat the slim mode with the -R flag according to Rawpedia.

https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/2238

1 Like

Thank you Hiram for explaining what OP meant, I really didn’t understand the post. I use Simple Editor mode all the time (single key press in third-party browser of my choice, FastStone). File info is available through the er, File Info button. Not having access to Preferences is a minor inconvenience as RT is so fast to close and re-open. Please don’t get rid of Simple Editor.

Wed 5/01/2019 8:39 am. I’m wonderfully glad to know

1. My complaint was completely unintelligible.

2. I’d only have to get a github account, not implant in my forehead to report something I don’t like about rawtherapee,

3. -R option’ll run it with a cut-down browser.

4. Rawtherapee is so terrifically fast it doesn’t make a difference.

… Not to worry; I realized I just have to leave the XNVIEW image “up” – that is, go through the unnecessary step of double-clicking the image in the XNVIEW browser – so I can figure-out the name of the file I’m about to mutilate.

– cordially
jgo

Image opened by double clicking it.
clicking on info button should open an info window:

where the file name is indicated.

Does it work on your system?

Edit: if you use XnViewMP, you can specify -w to avoid RT opens a RT window.

On the contrary: -R will make it a full-fledged RawTherapee instance. See Command-Line Options - RawPedia

Thu 5/02/2019 8:25 am. Well actually, yes it does! I was foolishly
looking for the name on the blue thing on top of the screen, where it
appears in the browser. But, yes, the info button does exactly what I
want. Much obliged.

– jgo * owenlabs.org

@jgo You’re welcome :grinning:

@heckflosse
the -R option works when using powershell or DOS shell.
But it doe’nt work when calling RT from xnviewMP , although the -w option works.
It does’nt seem to work ok from a mingw64 shell ( to be confirmed).
Do you know if there is a limitation in the use of this option?