Two Row Panoramas in Hugin

Anyone have an insight as to setting up a two row pano in Hugin? I’ve done it many times in PTGui, but can’t seem to find the right method of doing this in Hugin. The problem I have is that my second row is often sky, and control points are somewhat iffy using automated methods. In PT Gui, I could manually enter and adjust alignments by inputting vertical and horizontal offsetts for my sky row. I’m using a Nodal Ninja, so my initial alignment is usually good enough for a sky. I can also specify in PTGui the shooting sequence for multi rows, and it works pretty well.

For the use case there is an user-defined assistant with the non-obvious :wink: name “multi-row (2 rows)”. (In the panorama editor under Edit>User defined assistant.)
Maybe it needs some fine-tuning for your use-case, because there are many possible shooting pattern.

Basically it does the following: After loading the images go to the images tab. Select manipulate image variables from the context menu and assign rough positions (there are 2 examples for multi row panoramas, maybe you need to adjust it to your needs).
The run “Hugin’s CPfind (prealgined)” as control point finder.
Then run “Geocpset” to connect the orphaned images. (You may have to set up the detector in the preferences according to Control Point Detector Parameters - PanoTools.org Wiki )
Then optimize and output the pano “as usual”.

(This workflow is described at Hugin Panorama Workflow - PanoTools.org Wiki for scripting.)

Just add a few control points manually. Or you can choose not to run the feature that detects and removes control points in the sky.

Thanks, found that the multi row user defined assistant didn’t create anything other than a jumble of images. I was able to edit the individual picture positions in the expert mode (and after reloading the set) and correct the Yaw and pitch values to get a reasonable assembly.

Appreciate the help!

Hi Mica-

Normally I would add some points manually, but in a pure sky image, with moving clouds, that doesn’t work out to well. Now that I’ve worked out the positions of one panoramic set, I can make a template and get there a whole lot faster when I use a Nodal Ninja to control my shot positioning.

Had success today with the two row panos. I reshot using a lower angle (below level) for the bottom row, and a higher angle for the top. Included a bit of overlap with detail helped the process a great deal. Used jpgs first, then applied the pto as a template to the processed raws. Happy with the results.
Here’s a link to the photo if you are interested: Herring River Pano 2020

3 Likes