Ubuntu 18.04 install faillure

Long time RPD usere never with any prior issues. Recently had to reinstall ubuntu 18.04 ( long story / my own fault ). Ran the install.py script and the installation finally errors out with :

Updating PyQt5 and PyQt5_sip…
Collecting PyQt5
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/3a/fb/eb51731f2dc7c22d8e1a63ba88fb702727b324c6352183a32f27f73b8116/PyQt5-5.14.1.tar.gz
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/tokenize.py”, line 452, in open
buffer = _builtin_open(filename, ‘rb’)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/tmp/pip-build-uah5weto/PyQt5/setup.py’

Any suggestions very much appreciated as without RPD I am a bit stuffed.

Cheers

Francesco

It’s running into a problem installing PyQt5, because PyQt5 now depends on a very very new version of pip. I’ll need to release an updated install.py script in the next few days.

In the meantime, if you want to, try this (do not run as sudo):

python3 -m pip install -U pip

then run the install script again. It should work.

2 Likes

Thanks you so much for such an amazing quick reply. Sadly it still errored out with :
Collecting PyQt5
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/3a/fb/eb51731f2dc7c22d8e1a63ba88fb702727b324c6352183a32f27f73b8116/PyQt5-5.14.1.tar.gz
File “”, line 1, in
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/tmp/pip-build-p6sl3b3d/PyQt5/setup.py’
Cheers

That’s a little surprising. It worked for me once I upgraded Python3’s pip. Run this and paste the output here:

python3 -m pip --version

fgs@xxxxxxx:~/bin$ python3 -m pip --version
pip 9.0.1 from /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (python 3.6)

Which indicates pip was not upgraded. I hope to release an version of Rapid Photo Downloader in the next 24 hours or so that addresses the installation problem.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help and input. There is no real substitute for RPD and my “windows friends” are jealous. I shall watch the site and try again soonest.

Thanks again

Francesco

Hi sadly the 0.9.18 install also fails for me. I have tried the python3 -m pip install -U pip approach first. This message system will not allow me to post the full output ( the links in it cause problems ) but the apparently fatal message from python3 ./install.py appears to be :

File “”, line 1, in
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/tmp/pip-build-jggelt03/PyQt5/setup.py’

Any suggestions much appreciated

Many Thanks

Francesco

What do you mean by this? What output did you get when you ran this command? Did you prefix it with sudo or not?

Please provide more details.

It was the command that you suggested a couple of days ago ( see above ). I ran it as myself before then running the install script ( also as myself ). I shall re-run it now and post the output :
Collecting pip
Using cached Installing collected packages: pip
##https link removed as I cannot post links here ###
Successfully installed pip-19.3.1

The subsequent running of the install.py errors as in my previous post.

You reran what, exactly? I’m unsure what you mean by “it”.

I ran python3 -m pip install -U pip ( as user ) as you had suggested as an attempted work around. The output was :
Collecting pip
Using cached Installing collected packages: pip
##https link removed as I cannot post links here ###
Successfully installed pip-19.3.1

Now confirm it installed successfully:

python3 -m pip --version

Assuming it reports 19.3.1, run:

python3 -m pip install --user --upgrade setuptools

And if that works without error, run:

python3 -m pip install --user --upgrade wheel

And if that works without error, run:

python3 -m pip install --user --upgrade PyQt5

If there are errors, simply saying there was an error is not helpful. If you cannot share the complete output here, please find another place in which to share the output and then share a link to it. I suggest https://paste.ubuntu.com/

Progress !
Initial error with different versions of PIP being reported :
fgs@mossdog:~/bin/RPD$ python3 -m pip --version
pip 9.0.1 from /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (python 3.6)
fgs@mossdog:~/bin/RPD$ sudo python3 -m pip --version
[sudo] password for fgs:
pip 19.3.1 from /home/fgs/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip (python 3.6)

Then ran each of your subsequent commands as root followed , finally by the RPD install script run as user – and PRD installed and then launched.

I have no idea why the returned version of PIP varies between user and root.

Thank you, so so much for your help and forbearance.

I don’t know either. But I expect you could find other problems popping up that mean it might be easier simply to reinstall Ubuntu 18.04, assuming of course you keep /home on a different partition.

Thanks! You`ve helped me

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you profusely for the fix that also helped me get the dropbox alt client maestral working! Had a tough time with various things and the same error trying to run the maestral gui and tried your command and it worked and I got it working! Thanks again

mods please don’t delete this would help others as well :wink:

2 Likes