Unable to install on Kubuntu 19.04

Hello,

when trying to install Rapid Photo Downloader on Kubuntu 19.04 I get:

intltool-update -p -g rapid-photo-downloader
    Encode.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xde00080, needed 0xce00080)

*** The intltool-extract script wasn't found!
     *** Without it, intltool-update can not generate files.
    intltool-merge -x po data/net.damonlynch.rapid-photo-downloader.appdata.xml.in build/share/appdata/net.damonlynch.rapid-photo-downloader.appdata.xml
    Encode.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xde00080, needed 0xce00080)
    error: command 'intltool-merge' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
Received error code 1
Failed to install application: exiting...

Any ideas?

I have tested it on a fresh minimal install of Ubuntu 19.04. Worked for me. Seems like your install has a problem with the intltool package, perhaps?

Thank you for the try. That is strange. I uninstalled intltool and let the installation script draw it again. The result remains the same for me. The script draws this package from Local/universe.

Probably the problem is not with the package itself, but with the perl setup it uses to run the program. Did you install some software that affected your perl instance? It looks like it.

I’ve tested it under a stock install of Kubuntu 19.04 and it works.

1 Like

Indeed on my desktop it works. There are a couple of programs that are installed on this system which are not from the standard repositories. Though they all were installed already prior to the upgrade (and Rapid Photo Downloader worked perfectly on it). Unfortunately, as I am not programming myself I do not remember which of those are perl related. I will try a clean install when I find the time, or will update here if I happen to find the conflicting istalation. Thank you again, and keep up the good work!

Ok, after running

env | grep PERL

I saw that a PERL5LIB was set. I commented the respective lines out in my ~/.bashrc and the installation went fine. Glad I will not have to use Krename each time I want to copy my photographs on my computer.