Unable to integrate G'MIC into GIMP

I know this is a painfully hackneyed topic but I’ve read and viewed everything possible. I also painfully aware that the solution is readily apparent. But with blood obscuring my vision I need a clear set of eyes!
Did it work before? NEVER. I’ve downloaded and fully erased both GIMP and G’MIC innumerable times.
Did you update something? NO. No OS or any other update.
Is the user.gmic file in the right format? Perhaps an example of the correct format would be helpful
Did you reboot? YES
Did you rebuild the cache? NO
The following are the entries in my GIMP plug-in file.
C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\gmic_gimp_qt
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
Users\x\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

Just a gentle nudge in the right direction, please

Hello @uluruayers ,

Welcome to the forum.
I have a few questions, to better understand what is going on :

• Did you try the installer or the .zip archive for installing the plug-in ?
  • Did you download the installer or .zip archive from the G’MIC website, or from another location?
  • Do you have a 32bits version of Windows ? (old computer?).
  • Does the G'MIC-Qt entry appears under the Filter menu or not. If it is only greyed out, then the plug-in is correctly installed, you just need to open an image (in RGB mode) to make it work.
  • Does GIMP display any error message when you run it ? (missing DLLs maybe?).
1 Like

Thank You David for the prompt response.

• Did you try the installer or the .zip archive for installing the plug-in ? Both, numerous times. Erasing every shred between installs.
  • Did you download the installer or .zip archive from the G’MIC website, or from another location? G’MIC website
  • Do you have a 32bits version of Windows ? (old computer?). Running 64
  • Does the G'MIC-Qt entry appears under the Filter menu or not. If it is only greyed out, then the plug-in is correctly installed, you just need to open an image (in RGB mode) to make it work. Regardless of my efforts, nothing G’MIC has ever appeared in GIMP anywhere.
  • Does GIMP display any error message when you run it ? (missing DLLs maybe?). Never

My suspicion is that it has to do with the path in the GIMP plug-in box(I included the path’s listed in the box in the initial message). My understanding is that when GIMP loads it checks the plug-in path and loads the plug-ins it finds in the folder. If the path to the folder is wrong, it will never load.

Thank you for your time and considering my dilemma

Hi,
I’m not using windows but on Linux the plugin is located inside it’s own folder, like this :
.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt/gmic_gimp_qt
So maybe you have to do the same ? :
C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\gmic_gimp_qt\gmic_gimp_qt.exe

EDIT : Also try to launch gimp from the command line to see if there is any unseen error.

That is correct.

Are these the paths as reported by GIMP? That is, when you follow, say, daviesmediadesign’s How to Install Plugins in GIMP for Windows these are the plug-in folders that GIMP itself reports? These are, indeed, the folders where GIMP “loads the plug-ins it finds in the folder.” If you think that these are wrong or don’t exist, then (1) click on the top path, with a “Roaming” segment. (2) GIMP highlights the chosen path. Then (3) click on the file folder icon in the upper right hand corner of the file explorer dialog box. (4) If GIMP’s listing of the chosen plug-in folder doesn’t exist, you will get a “file not found” error dialog from Windows. Otherwise, (5) GIMP opens the folder and displays its contents. You should see a gmic_qt, file, the gmic plug-in. If the folder is empty, or has no such file, then the original gmic installation failed in some fashion. That said, you can manually install the plugin by following daviesmediadesign’s installation procedure. You may have to unzip the archive file you downloaded from the Downloads page. After putting gmic-qt in the folder that GIMP has designated for plug-ins, shutdown GIMP completely and restart.

Thank You Garry,

Are these the paths as reported by GIMP? That is, when you follow, say, daviesmediadesign’s How to Install Plugins in GIMP for Windows these are the plug-in folders that GIMP itself reports? YES

You should see a gmic_qt, file, the gmic plug-in. This is indeed what I see. I followed the procedure and mimicked daviesmedia and others ad infinatum.

I will try the manual install.

Thanks again

Not often these days but gimp_gmic_qt is 64 bit so a Windows 64 bit installation is required. A quick check C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) together is 64 bit Windows.

The way Gimp and plugins works these days is the folder containing the plugin use the same name - folder gimp_gmic_qt contains gimp_gmic_qt.exe (plus all the .dll dependencies.

There is/was a conflict between old versions of Gimp 2.10 and new versions gmic. If you are using an old Gimp update to the latest - www.gimp.org

Looking at your paths:
C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\gmic_gimp_qt is redundant C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins is sufficient.

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins is the system plugins - leave well alone but check that you have not inadvertently installed a gmic there that causes a conflict.

Users\x\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins - is that a typo ?

I usually advise the Windows installer. It puts the files in the correct place but as an alternative the zipped files can go (almost) anywhere providing you add the path in Edit → Preferences → Folders → Plugins.

I can just get that in a 60 second animation but apologies, it is a bit quick Putting the gimp_gmic_qt folder in your Users → name directory.

https://i.imgur.com/TwEI4js.mp4

2 Likes