Unable to open Natron on Windows10

Hi community,

I’m working for a VFX studio in which we’ve been using Natron for the last 3 years in order to create automated .mov files from .exr sequences successfully.

Last week Natron stopped working for me on Windows 10 and I’m unable to make it work again, regardless of several deinstallations and trying a few different versions.
I would love if somebody could help me figure out why I every time I try to launch Natron.exe,
the process gets hung on the following splash screen:

Here’s how I ended up in this trouble:
I was looking into comping some lens flares and found the following plug-in package which I attempted to install:

I followed the tutorial until roughly 04:10min where it is described to copy the plug-in files into the following directory, after which I was prompted to close and re-open Natron:
C:\Natron\2.3.15\Plugins\OFX\Natron\Shadertoy.ofx.bundle\Contents\Resources\presets\default

That’s when I first ran into the problem that the splash screen gets stuck at “Loading PyPlugs…”.
I then deinstalled Natron completely, and reinstalled it, same problem. After which I deinstalled the Software and tried version 2.3.14 and 2.3.4, which both presented me with the same problem.

I there something that might have messed up my Windows Registry?
Does anybody have any ideas on how to debug this? I know Natron isn’t being actively developed anymore, but it would be a real shame if I couldn’t get this to work again.
Please let me know if you need any more information of my system in order to debug this.

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,

Manu

Hi,

Check that the Natron folder is actually gone, (C:\Program Files\INRIA\Natron-XXXX). Did you add a custom search path for the PyPlugs? If so, remove that folder. Also check if you have a .Natron folder in your homepath (C:\Users\USERNAME).

Hi Ole-André,

Thanks for your reply!
The .Natron folder in my C:\Users\USERNAME is empty. This morning I did a fresh reinstall of Natron in C:\Natron (that’s the install directory imposed by our pipeline) and made sure the folder was empty before writing into it.
As for the custom search path for PyPlugs, how can I set/check that without opening Natron?

Thanks!

Then is probably a setting (custom path), you can find it in the registry.

Start regedit (WIN+R+regedit), then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER=>Software=> INRIA, there you have the Natron folder with all the settings, just delete it. If you want a “clean install” you can also remove C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\INRIA\Natron.

Hey,

You’re a lifesaver, thanks a lot. Clearing out the registry did the trick for me!
Thanks again,
Cheers,

Manu

1 Like

Great :slight_smile:

Btw, the video you watched might be dated in regards to where to get the plugins, the current url is GitHub - NatronGitHub/natron-plugins: Natron Community Plugins

Awesome, I’ll take a look!

Ty a lot, is worked after this