Underexposed RAW file - A tale of woe - Any help would be apreciated.

I woke up on a transatlantic flight to view of ice and sea over the northern part of Canada. The bright ice, with its details and the clear blue sea were spectacular. I took a couple of quick shots with my phone and then pulled out my trusty ZS100.
I arrived home with a dead cell phone so could not access these images. I looked at the images from my ZS100 to find they were muddy and subdued. On closer examination I realized that not only was I shooting through a plane window but also they were underexposed by at -1.66f.
I have made a number of attempts with darktable to resurrect the scene closer to how I remember it, without success.
Any help will be appreciated
P1150105 Labrador.RW2 (22.6 MB)

1 Like

My take is to dehaze and brighten up. This is what I came up with. There is an artefact line at the bottom, which appeared after I tried a crop. not sure what it is. will try and find out and correct it later

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (13.3 KB)

Not sure what you saw but this is my attempt for a more dramatic picture.

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (11.5 KB)

4 Likes

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (12.0 KB)

1 Like

My very quick play. Not knowing what the scene actually looked like it is, of course, a guess!
Increased exposure by +2EV in Filmulator then into GIMP. Luminosity mask plug-in to increase contrast, particularly in the mid-range.

1 Like

Thanks for your swift replies. The artifact at the bottom right (the line?) is part of the plane window!
These are all good, with David’s attempt the best in my opinion; i guess using multiple softwares helps.
The blue in all of these is quite far away. The water in the original image ha a sky-blue colour, similar to the upload below:
Sky
It was obtaining this blue colour that was giving me the real difficulties.

I tried to stay near to your colour target, even so I kept it somewhat darker:

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (14.8 KB)

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (14.2 KB)

My version…

1 Like

Here is my version with darktable and custom code simulating color film and print.

1 Like

My fun - ART, GIMP and GMIC

Other process

1 Like

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (18.0 KB)

3 Likes

My edit from above with one more instance of color calibration, so that the blue in the upper part matches exactly your example.

P1150105 Labrador_01.RW2.xmp (12.5 KB)

Nice photo :slight_smile:

P1150105 Labrador.RW2.xmp (19.0 KB)

Thank you all for these versions. I really appreciate them.

1. Downloaded the raw and exported it as RGB from RawDigger.

2. downloaded the above patch.

3. Opened both as layers in the GIMP with the histogram set to RGB.

4. Moved the patch layer up in the RGB layer to about top middle.

5. Adjusted the RGB colors in the patch area with the Color Balance tool so as to line up the RGB peaks with the patch peaks. Left green as-is, more or less.

6. Played with the Exposure tool to equalize the brightness.

Then edited the RGB layer much as others have already.

HTH