upcoming version 1.6

Hi,

I’ve completed the last thing I wanted to to before 1.6, so I am now ready to release a new version of ART. However, I’d like to get some feedback and testing before, if possible. So, if you have the chance, please play with the current master and see if anything is broken…

Here is a list of the main changes wrt. 1.5.x:

• added option to overwrite snapshots with the current active parameters (via right-click)

• inspector: move around by panning instead of moving the mouse over the thumbnail

• revised contrast slider formula when log tone mapping is enabled

• ported new scopes (waveforms and vectorscopes) from RT

• added support for external (non-raw) image decoders and encoders

• post-resize sharpening renamed to output sharpening (and applied also when not resizing)

• inspector: added histogram display

• file browser: added batch renaming functionality

13 Likes

Hi alberto,
I found a bug in version 1.5.4.48.
Tool-tip of ligne 1425 (RENAME DIALOG TIP) is not display.
Previous one was OK
SM

Thanks! Should work now

Yes, I am going to translate the new lines.

1 Like

Seems that normalization of file extension not working.
SM

Sorry for the noise it works, that was a bad character insertion “;” instead of a point.

Hi Alberto, points 3 and 4 look great to me.
Though, the slider forhe vector scope intensity slider is maybe not useful, as you can change the intensity with the mouse on the vector scope itself.

Changing contrast slider to some negative values (ie: -1, -2, etc) with Log Tone Mapping enabled causes the image to go black.

Hello, quite a few nice changes to the upcoming 1.6, all help to make it more useable.
I have only noticed the changes to the perspective correction tool, allowing you to draw guidelines on the image, it really works very well, I might be tempted to use it to tweak some earlier images.

I have noticed a small point - the auto fill box seems to crop an unnecessarily large section of the image away, and I don’t think it is working as expected.
Of course, It could well be user error…

Now select autofill - a large proportion of the image is cropped

For reference, the result with autofill in RawTherapee is different, although it does leave some curved dark sections at the edges of the image

The autocrop function in ART, works fine though so really, in terms of use, the tool is very useable:

Here is the raw file, the arp file and the pp3 file for reference.
London night 19.RW2 (14.7 MB) London night 19.RW2.arp (12.0 KB) London night 19.RW2.pp3 (14.3 KB)

Creative Commons License

Oh yes, I forgot to mention it, this is also stolen from RT :slight_smile:
I’ll have a look at the bugs reported, thanks everyone!

Hi,

The difference here is that auto-fill is forced to keep the image proportions, whereas autocrop can select the largest area (because you are not locking the ratio in the crop tool): If you use autocrop with “lock ratio as image” turned on, you will see that the two compute exactly the same area. So, this is not really a bug, it’s just the way it works. If you want to minimize the amount of cropping, just use auto crop without locking the ratio…

Hope this helps

Thanks, fixed.

True, but it doesn’t hurt either I think… (I took this straight from RT)

Makes sense, thanks, good that no bug needs fixing…

Hi Alberto, version 1.5.4-51, batch rename is no longer available ! but not reliable, some time it works !
perhaps my compilation ?

A new compilation seems to fix the problem.
SM

You’re right.

One thing I noticed recently, when I work with a brush at 100% zoom I want to scroll (pan) the image and I subconsciously try to use middle mouse button, because left button is used for brush strokes. It’s a bit inconvenient to exit brush mode every time when I need to scroll the image.

Is it possible to make middle mouse button as an unconditional hand tool, @agriggio?

It feels a bit ineffective that the only one mouse button is used :slight_smile: well, plus right click to exit brush mode, which is actually really useful. So middle button could also become useful.

In DT they have a similar issue with some functions using scroll wheels for opacity and brush size or other so they use shift a or some key combination to revert to usual mouse control on a temp basis say to pan or scroll and then when you let go you are back to your brush or function…maybe this would be something that could be inserted if needed…

That’s a fair request, I’ll see what I can do

3 Likes

@agriggio - hello Alberto, playing some more with the batch rename option in the file browser. Trying to insert an exif tag using %T[tagname], but nothing happens. Say I want to insert in the new (renamed) filename the artist field, am I right to use %T[artist] there? But again, nothing happens…

On a side note, among the proposed %x’s there’s no one for shutter speed.