Update/Complete the Documentation

Since a few of us are motivated to write on the docs.

Which sections should be filled up or added next?

Here the doc link:

https://natron.readthedocs.io/en/rb-2.3/index.html#

1 Like

Hey about the “Digital intermediate”, this is what I understand, please correct me if I’m wrong

Usually when we want to edit a movie whose footages are recorded by a film camera, we would have to scan the films to digital.

Originally, “Digital intermediate” will apply the editing, visual effects, color gradings which are created on digital systems to the films.

These days:

I don’t know about the “digital to digital” they mentioned on the Wikipedia.

https://natron.readthedocs.io/en/rb-2.3/guide/getstarted-environment.html
Every sections under “Environment” are empty. We can start from there.

The contents were referenced from Nuke:
https://learn.foundry.com/nuke/12.1/content/getting_started/using_interface/using_compositing_env.html

Thanks for the useful links.
I am starting to work my way down, just finished the “Toolbar, menu bar, and context menus page”, “Using the Toolbar”…
Next page coming soon…

I will keep on working on @hellocatfood branch and push my things every time a site is finished.

We should communicate here or on Discord, so none is doing the same thing as someone else already started…

1 Like

Do you have a “commit” yet? (sorry I still don’t understand GitHub yet). If so, please share so I can join.

Hi,
Did you see that this part of the doc was recently updated? It’s not perfect of course, so you can still improve it.

@devernay
Thanks for the hint!

@devernay do you have a preference on using :ref: or :doc: for linking to other documents?

as long as it works, everything’s fine!
(I turned on automatic readthedocs builds on PRs, by the way).

1 Like

Just discovered: Natron (software) - Wikipedia

@magdesign I thought it could be beneficial to ask for me and in general how to edit the documentation if someone likes to contribute? Looked to me that you have done some pages quite recently, so the work is ongoing.

I see that docs have link to github and looks like it might be possible to edit directly at the github site, but is that the place to edit or should docs also be pulled and pushed in separate branches like usual git development? I have only limited experience with github, so not familiar with this.

There are placeholder pages in documentation which would be quite easy to fill with basic info to help out if it’s as easy as writing here in Forum without complex procedures. Just need to know how to get started.

EDIT: The procedure is described in manual as a first thing in Tutorials section, so excuse my question. :joy: Reading now.

Hi @Saku

As you found the how to, here a short description how I do it:

• Fork Natron on Github

• Then I use Gitkraken to sync the fork down to my computer

• Editing the files in VisualStudio Code with the rst extension (so you have a live preview aside)

• When finished editing push the code to your Github fork (with Gitkraken), make sure you push only the essential files (no _build folder etc.). Name the changes in the commit.

• Login to Github online, click pull request, again name the changes in a few good words.

• Check the pre-built docs (you get the link in around 10min after pullrequest).

• Wait until a dev. accepted the commit.

• If you have questions, we can discuss on discord.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve done only one project using Github, but another person was guiding me to get started and prepared branches for me. I only needed to focus my programming parts and do commits using git commands in console. Is gitkraken some alternative tool?

I’d think it would be easier to get people onboard (myself included) if documentation could be modified directly at the docs website like Wikipedia. That would need someone to choose future proof platform and maybe approval of developers. But I guess I should just to try to setup it during coming weeks instead of asking alternative method, as was asking about this and should first help somehow.

Instructions were to make separate branches like: Keying, but is it possible to make only one branch for myself and do all work in that?

I first also thought its a stupid system, but when you get used to it (takes less than 2 hours) you start to love it. Its pretty clear and the doc is very good readable.

Gitgkraken is a git GUI, made a mistake first time when I pushed it with command line, pushed too many files, so they did not accept my contribution, thats why I use a GUI now.

No branches needed. Just fork the actual repo, make your changes in your fork and commit, pull request. Its straight forward. I think its better to work on master branch for the documentation.

2 Likes

Another alternative to Gitgkraken is the GitHup desktop app itself. I used that.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll promise to try.

Thanks for @magdesign for simple list above for necessary steps which I followed and got everything working (I think). Forked 2.3, Installed GitKraken, cloned to local PC, Installed Visual Studio Code, Installed RestructuredText extension, Updated Python, Added some missing Python System Paths, Installed DocUtils, Installed Doc8 and spent total 1.5 hours on this. Not sure if some last steps were even unnecessary, but this is to tell feelings of non-developer.

Now as I have things running, I will continue some other day and hopefully can slowly write some additional documentation. But in my opinion should think an alternative way to build documentation directly at the website, as there must be lot of skilled individuals who could write a page or two or add written tutorials. Is it totally impossible to switch to some other method on this? I understand developers view that now documentation is also in Github and is approved before publishing to avoid false info, but not sure if it’s the right decision for future.

I hope nobody minds my small rant, but to contribute documentation is currently too complex for 90% of Natron users who could help with this. (my over the top estimate, do not take literally)

Hopefully I don’t sound too negative but I’m thinking the best of the software.

Cool that you on it now :slight_smile:

As written above, first I also thought its complicated, but I do think its one of the best systems available to publish documentation since the system takes care of all the styling so it looks good and has a good search option, it also takes care about hosting. Its already set up and working, if we move to another system, someone else must take care and maintain it. I think the community is always open for inputs, its just my opinion.

If someone is reading this and willing to write documentation but does not want to use github, just write your doc, publish a link here in the forum and me or someone else will implement it for you.

edit:
a wiki page can also easy be vandalized, which would be terrible to always block people and fix things…

I agree on styling, that this will keep all pages easily similar look nevertheless who’s adding content.

Let’s see my thoughts after some time when I’ve worked on something.

Side question to anyone who knows: Now as I have my own fork, could I do other changes on that as well, like UI adjustments or is there some best practices on this? I don’t yet know how to compile or if I even can myself, but just a thought for future.

FYI, you can edit the documentation on GitHub :wink:

Example:

Raw: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NatronGitHub/Natron/RB-2.3/Documentation/source/guide/getstarted-about-faq.rst
Preview: Natron/Documentation/source/guide/getstarted-about-faq.rst at RB-2.3 · NatronGitHub/Natron · GitHub

Yes.