Updated to 4.6.1, but lighttable image quality still broken FIXED!!!!

I’m baffled as to when and what has happened.

The image quality of my files in the lighttable full preview when zoomed in has disintegrated. For the last 5 years it looked identical to 100% view in darkroom mode, but recently it’s become like a tiny thumbnail upscaled to 3000px wide. Fuzzy and pixilated. Weird. I had hoped 4.6.1 would fix it, but no change.

In desperation I have been messing with various settings and lost track of what I did. So I reset all the settings options back to default then rebuilt all my thumbnails using the darktable-generate-cache command line. No difference. I’ve even removed all the files from 2024 and re-imported. No change.

Very confusing.

Anyone have any step by step diagnosis suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

EDIT: Found it by sheer chance. The relevant settings is nothing to do with the thumbnail settings at all, but the CPU/memory settings in the processing tab.

The crucial setting is “prefer performance over quality”. If that gets ticked, your lighttable image quality is screwed. Untick it and all is well.

Well at least now I know what will happen if I tick performance over quality. Is this the only problem that it causes?

One could say it’s not a problem but a documented feature.

Enable this option to render thumbnails and previews at a lower quality.

How much lower, probably depends on the available embedded JPG previews.

1 Like

If the option was also enabled previously, there may have been a change in how the embedded preview is read. Maybe if a raw has several embedded previews, darktable used to choose the one with the highest resolution, and may now pick another note. That would be a regression.