Upgrade to Mint 'Vanessa' requires me to downgrade to dt 3.0

The checking phase which the latest mint upgrade tool goes through as part of the upgrade to Mint 21 ‘Vanessa’ asks me to downgrade a number of apps to that used in the default repository. For darktable I am required to agree to downgrade to version 3.0. That is, of course, unacceptable. Is there a simple work around, something like saving the current (4.0) library, database, etc. files, purging dt, completing the upgrade and then re-installing dt 4.0, using the saved files ?

If so, how does one do it? If not, is there an alternative which is known to work?

And, yes, Synaptic does say that the default version in the Mint 20.3 repository is Version 4.0 - but the mint upgrade tool is having none of it: it insists on a downgrade to 3.0

I run Mint 21 (installed directly, no upgrade from previous version) and DT in the Mint repo is 3.8.1 ( I see no 4.0 yet, but it is ok since I prefer waiting for the fix update 4.1 to be release soon). It works flawlessly.
Could you flush your OS and install full Mint 21 ?

I did agree to the downgrade of darktable for the upgrade to Mint 21. After the successful upgrade, I installed the opensuse ppa as described on the darktable homepage which is now the ppa for xubuntu 22.04 instead the one for xubuntu 20.04 for Mint 20.3. The database remained untouched during the operation.
Successful upgrade.

3 Likes

Technically es, but in practice, given the number of applications and their customisations I have installed, plus the changes in fstab required to support additional drives, this turns out to be a non trivial task, An upgrade process produced by the Mint development team is much mre attractive to me.

Thanks for this info; I’m now more confident, based on the ‘database remained untouched’ comment (I’ll back it up though!)

Just to have it said: No Backup - no Mercy.
If you have your images and the xmp-files on a drive different from your system drive, all should be safe, but just for double safety make a backup of your database on another drive.

Hi, every major mint upgrade will require to remove from your sources any external software sources like ppa and such. Thus you’ll be required to downgrade or remove the softwares installed via these sources.

This is required so mint can be sure to accomplish the upgrade without troubles or ending up with installed software with broken dependences.

As mentioned earlier just upgrade and after get DT 4.x from a ppa compatible with your new mint version.

If you do not launch DT during the process your DB should be untouched, but it’s still a good practice to backup your DT database and preferences (~/.config/darktable/) when upgrading to a new major version or when not sure.