Upgrading Natron

Hello all, I have Natron 2.4.1 installed on my machine (Ubuntu 20.04 lts). I did it via the installer.
Now I would like to upgrade to the latest 2.5.0. What is the recommended way to do so? Uninstall the old version and reinstall the new one from scratch? Install the two versions alongside and then remove the older one? I missed an “upgrade” button?

Thank you all.

Did you try Natron2 Setup? (see docs Linux — Natron 2.5.0 documentation)

Yup, it shows 3 options.

1. package manager: lists only the currently installed version, uninstall is the only option.
  2. update components: returns a network error, protocol unknown
  3. remove all components

If I understand correctly, update components does not upgrade to a new natron version. Package manager SHOULD then be the right choice but it seems like there is no new version.

The installer can be used to install/remove. We had network support several years ago for updates etc, it’s not supported anymore.

Download the Natron installer you want and install that, if you install to a different directory then you used previous you can have multiple versions installed at the same time (the desktop integration only works for the last installed.). You can also just install a new version over the old one.

2 Likes

Thank you @rodlie that’s what i needed to know.