Using ART as a RAW decoder

As ART is a RawTherapee derivative, is it possible to use it as a RAW decoder for GIMP?

If so how? This is on a Windows 10 box.

Thanks

Hi,
On Linux it should be possible to create a wrapper script that will allow the gimp plugin to call art instead of RT, but I’m not sure if that will work on windows, because windows might search for RT in the registry. I guess someone would need to try… Sorry if this is not very informative

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for this feedback.

Hello, if I’m not mistaken, this mechanism doesn’t work anymore in Gimp (on Linux at least). It did work a year ago or something, with the early versions of the Gimp 2.10.x series.

Simple workaround: open your raw file in ART, then click the button Send to Gimp.

Great idea. Would you please be so kind as to help me find the “Send to Gimp” button?

thanks

First provide the GIMP install dir in preferences>general>external editor, and select GIMP as external editor
then

6NJQRM5VGL

It will not work with blanks in image name.

Ok. That’s interesting about blanks in the image name as all my image names have blanks in them.

I had clicked that button and it churned for a moment or two and then nothing happened after it was done, That would explain why.

Seems like an odd artifact.

thanks

Hi,

Good to know – I’ll take a look

1 Like

Hi,
I’m using ART 1.12.1 and GIMP 2.10.24 under linux S.O. I am tring to open IMG_7924.CR2 directly with “send to gimp” button in ART, and IMG_7924.tif is generated, but GIMP does not open.
Gimp is possible to be opened in terminal using “gimp” or “gimp-2.10” so it is declared in path…
Any suggestion?
Thanks a lot!

Hello, is your Gimp an AppImage perhaps?

Hello,
GIMP is not an appimage. I have it installed directly, and located in /home/{your_id}/. config/GIMP/2.10
But ART yes, it runs from an appimage. Could be related?
Thanks!

Hi, that’s it I think. I’m not able to tell an AppImage of Art where gimp is located. I tried /usr/bin/gimp and /etc/share/gimp, among others, but either nothing happens, or I see an error msg like “unable to find gimp, please provide the correct path in Preferences”.

Unless someone else knows a solution for this, use this workaround: save your file in Art as 16-bit tiff and open that in Gimp.

Hi Paul,
Understand… This is the way I work. Hope anyone has any solution.
Many thanks.