Using darktable in school?

First, thanks for the responses here in this thread.

@betazoid
Thank you very much.

@kofa
Yes, you are right about that. Thank you very much for understanding. It is one thing to deal with the issue of licenses in general. It’s quite another thing to do it in relation to individual countries. Especially in Germany, there are many hurdles in the school sector regarding the programs that you are allowed to use. I have to check every app or program with our data protection officers. That’s why many potentially good programs / apps are not possible.

@afre
Don’t worry, I didn’t misunderstand what you said. I definitely understand the need to speak / write English in an international forum. I will try to use more English terms if it becomes too German in communication. :slight_smile:
(You can’t scare me off that quickly :slight_smile: )

@Thomas_Do
It definitely made my start here a little easier and I’m thankful for that. I will now use Deepl in case I get stuck with the English I learned at school.

1 Like

Another good thing about free/libre open source software is that it is much easier to check for conformity to law such as dsgvo, because you have full access to the source code and can check it on a technical level in contrast to relying on contracts solely. Furthermore, f/los software also in general trends to be much more friendly regarding your data, typically no user analytics are run and nothing is sent “home”. However, it is important to get the software from a trustworthy source such as typical Linux distro repositories or the homepage of the program, never ever download something from chip.de or similar.

3 Likes

@chris
Yes, this is really an advantage of open source software. I think that the IT team, which is responsible for our school, does not use Chip.de as a source (that would be quite embarrassing… :sweat:).

I’m working on my concept right now and I’m having another question…
Is there a way to mirror the camera display? I would like to show my students how to navigate the menu, how to set a focus point, etc… We have projectors and projection screens at school that can be used for this. .
My camera has two ports: USB and HDMI. Is this possible or rather not?

Darktable has a tethering option, described in the manual. But you’ll have to check whether it works with your camera (and computer). I have no idea if it willl do what you want (i.e. mirror the live view of the camera display).

But given how different cameras are (between and within brands), how useful is it going to be to show the menu layout of one camera? (Of course, showing effects of exposure and focusing is always useful, but I

1 Like

Thank you! :star_struck:

http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

d5100 and zfc look decent support wise.

also rapid-photo-downloader might be worth show casing.

2 Likes