Using darktable in school?

Hey,
I am a teacher in Germany and I’m planning school lessons which include photography and editing pictures.
For this I need an editing application.
I am working quite a long time with darktable. Because of that, I want to use this application in my school lessons.
Is it possible with the GPL 3.0 licence to use it in class with the students or is it just for private use only?

Kelps

7 Likes

The use of the software is free in any way. So, go ahead!

12 Likes

Perhaps you can speak with @s7habo who teaches darktable and speaks German I believe.

3 Likes

Thank you for the answer :slight_smile: .

Thank you for the answer. Perhaps he will look in this thread :slight_smile: . If I can talk german, it would be easier for me to describe the problem. Besides that, he propably knows, how difficult it ist in Germany to use such applications in official contexts. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Hello @Kelps , and welcome to the forum!

And as @paperdigits said, I have held darktable courses, speak German and am happy to provide assistance if you have questions or need help.

Free Software licenses do not impose restrictions on use and are recommended especially in public educational institutions.

5 Likes

Hey @s7habo ,
thank you for the answer.
I will contact you today :slight_smile: !
For now it is good to know, that there are no problems with using the application in school.

Hallo @Kelps , hier gibt es eine inoffizielle deutsche Übersetzung der GPL v3. Bezüglich der Nutzung einer Software mit dieser Lizenz gibt es keinerlei Einschränkungen, weder privat, in Bildungseinrichtungen, noch kommerziell. Auch Veränderungen an der Software selbst dürfen vorgenommen werden. Diese müssen aber weiterhin unter der GPL-Lizenz stehen.
Für Deinen Unterricht sollte es also überhaupt keine Einschränkungen geben. Ich finde es wirklich gut, dass Du mit darktable eine Freie Software für den Unterricht gewählt hast.

Herzliche Grüße,
Thomas

3 Likes

Hallo Thomas,
danke für den Link, da werde ich mich dann mal einarbeiten. Es ist bei Software oftmals gar nicht so einfach etwas zu finden, was genutzt werden darf im schulischen Kontext. Dementsprechend bin ich sehr froh, dass Darktable da möglich ist. Oftmals ist es einfacher freie Software zu integrieren, da für kostenpflichtige Programme oftmals erst die Finanzierung und alles geregelt werden muss. Aber ich persönlich bin auch deutlich überzeugter von Darktable als von anderen Alternativen. :slight_smile:

Viele Grüße
Lisa

Auch GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, Scribus, Blender etc. bitte alle benutzen. Das schöne ist auch, das die Kinder es auch zu hause benutzen können. Wenn du Schulungsmaterial erstellt, dieses dann auch gerne für andere veröffentlichen.

2 Likes

Die anderen Programme wären sicher in Zukunft auch eine gute Idee. Ich muss mich nur im Vorfeld auch einarbeiten können, das ist eher dann ein zeitliches Problem :sweat_smile: . Es gibt ein paar Kolleginnen und Kollegen, die sich auskennen, aber jeder hat halt viel zu tun.

Hallo Lisa,
ich bin bei WEITEM nicht so ein Profi wie @s7habo - aber ich administriere eine komplexe Software in meiner Firma und schreibe Anleitungen dafür.
Privat habe ich Freude an Fotografie und Bearbeitung (vor allem) in darktable und denke drüber nach, evtl. selber sowas wie VHS-Kurse zu geben - wenn du also einen Test-Leser/User brauchst, der gerne noch was dazu lernt, melde dich gerne!

Schöne Grüße
Sascha

3 Likes

Danke für das Angebot, da komme ich gerne drauf zurück, wenn ich soweit bin.
Aktuell steht nur ein 2seitiges Grobkonzept, wo ich für mich schonmal zusammengefasst habe, was ich als sinnvoll erachte. Das werde ich aber noch ausarbeiten und dann weiterschauen :slight_smile: .

Liebe Grüße
Lisa

While communicating in German is okay, be mindful of the rest of the readership who may come from another background. We could of course use Google Translate or another service but we all know how far that brings us. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m sorry :frowning:
I’m struggleing really hard to describe my problem and what I’m thinking in english. So I was very thankful to communicate in German. Last time I really spoke and wrote english was 14/15 years ago.
I try to translate my part of the conversation later this day to make it possible to read and understand for everyone.

No need to do this - everyone is able to use deepl.com

2 Likes

Willkommen im pixls.us Forum! Schön wieder eine Frau hier zu finden!

LG Anna

1 Like

No problem. I have to practice German, anyway. :slight_smile: Plus, this isn’t the first discussion thread where people used a language other than English. And I understand that, when talking about matters as complex as software licences, it’s better not to risk misunderstandings. Communicating in one’s own mother tongue, with people who live in the same country, or at least in an area where some of the laws are shared (the EU, in this case), can be helpful.

3 Likes

Please don’t misunderstand my comment for language purism. I recently came across a Reddit thread bemoaning the reflexive and often offensive instinct of Americans to reject non-English speaking in public. I neither American nor English native so I completely understand.

It is just that, if there is a bit of English interspersed, then future readers would be able to find topics and translate them more easily. Actually, it is quite hard to search even if things are completely in English because of the volume of content we get on a regular basis. Anyway, carry on with the German but leave a few lingua franca bread crumbs along the way. Thanks!

I agree. We should stick with English in general. But in some special cases native language will help especially new forum members to find their way around and feel comfortable here.

Otherwise, I can recommend deepl.com to anyone who feels insecure in English. Have the text translated and check and correct it manually afterwards.

1 Like