V3.8 filmic numbers vs V3.6 numbers

I very rarely use filmic’s shadows highlights balance slider, but looking back at my V3.6 edits from within V3.8 they all now show small positive values. Although I cannot be certain, it also seems that the numerical values given for contrast and latitude may also have changed.

Is this expected behaviour, or am I going crackers?

I noticed the same, a change in the values of contrast and the shadows / highlight balance between pictures processed in 3.6 and 3.8.
Filmic now seems to behave slightly differently, so that adjusting the white point no longer has much effect on mid tone contrast. I find this easier to work with. I am guessing that the changes in values may be equivalents to maintain the same look from your previous edits. This is just my guess, I am sure there are people better qualified to tell you what is going on…

1 Like

See

2 Likes

Indeed, I proposed a change in filmic because changing white relative exposure or black relative exposure had side effects on other parameters.
So now, the contrast induced by the linear part of the curve is not influenced anymore by these parameters.
Also, the latitude is not in % of the dynamic range anymore, but in % of the maximum possible length of the linear segment of the curve.
So the numerical values you had in old edits have been automatically changed in order to get the same curve (thus the same look of the image), but with the new code that should make editing pictures with various dynamic range easier.

12 Likes

Thank you all for your replies.

I noticed people commenting elsewhere about how filmic’s sliders had changed/improved but I was unable to hunt down the discussion regarding this. The changes certainly make filmic more user friendly IMHO.

Additional thanks to the developers for all of their hard work in making darktable such a fantastic product.

5 Likes