vertical panorama with hugin

Hi, I am trying to create a “vertical panorama”, i.e. an image in portrait format. I have 4 raw/tiff files that I shot with a 17mm lens (MFT, equiv to 35mm/full frame).
I am having trouble selecting the right projection in Hugin. Apparently it is always assumed that the result will be in landscape format.
What do I need to do/choose here?
Thanks in advance
b

Moinchen!

Well, either this is a totally idiotic idea – or a very brilliant one;
(if it works, it is brilliant!).

What if you rotate the images 90 degrees, then send them to Hugin
to be stitched horizontally. When ready, just rotate the composit back again.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Schweden

2 Likes

It should work even in vertical/portrait. Below is an example stitching vertically 5 images (shot in landscape orientation) usiong equirectangular projection:

Maybe it’s just that we’re not used to see this type of distortion.

Edit: the same but with stereographic projection:

Vertical lines are not as straight, but horizontal ones are a bit more preserved than with the equirectangular projection. A good compromise?

1 Like

Have you tried the Panini projection? Sometimes, when a lot of vertical lines are involved, it does a very good job.

1 Like

actually it is a landscape
I came up with something but I lost the result because the live system crashed
I do not know which projection I chose but I kind of cropped the whole thing manually and then I got the right format
Don’t know if I can reproduce the result
Maybe rotating is the easiest solution but I have stitched panoramas composed of several rows of shots with other programs, I think it was Ps. Result was not quite perfect, mainly because of distortions
Affinity photo is better in terms of distortions but is overall unprecise and very slow
Edit: is it possible to disable distortion correction/projection completely?

Actually I just saw that the “panini general” projection in Hugin lets you fine tune some distortion, there are 3 sliders and “Bots” and “Tops” are pretty useful. In the image below, I tweaked the “Bots” slider to -50 to get straighter bottom vertical lines. The Panini projection tends to stretch the image vertically, so after stitching i compressed the image vertically in Gimp.

1 Like

I just realized that in this vertical panoramas, I took the bottom image at ground level, and the upper images were going towards the sky, and in this case the top is going towards vanishing converging lines (not sure it’s the right way to say this). By default, Hugin centers the image on the virtual globe, so it stretches the top but also the bottom part of the panorama. I think in this case, it is more correct to put the bottom around the equator. I tried that, and also tried the “Miller Cylindrical” projection:

I got something quite nice in my opinion, as now the bottom is not stretched that much (see that now people are in correct proportions), and the result looks close to what I would see from a distance, using a longer focal length (less perspective distortion):

That’s not perfect for architectural images such as this, but for a vertical landscape it may be worth a try.

2 Likes