*Very* simple stop-motion app or script?

Hi,

I’m on Linux Mint, and need something very simple to turn a sequence of shots (by my daughter and her friend) into an animation. I know about mencoder, but I need just a little bit of control: this is the girls’ first animation, so some scenes have been animated in quite small steps, but others are much more rough. If played at a uniform frame rate, the resulting movie would look really weird. Is there any tool where I can set how long a given frame should be displayed (so it’s rendered 3 or 15 or whatever times into the outgoing video)? Alternatively, a simple text-file based tool would work, with timestamps indicating when a given frame should be inserted into the movie.

Thanks in advance,
Kofa

ffmpeg will do it. Essentually it is:

ffmpeg -framerate 60 -i image-%03d.png video.webm

This will create a video with the filename video.webm from the image files named image-000.png, image-001.png, image-002.png, up to the last sequentially numbered three digit image file.

More here : FFMPEG An Intermediate Guide/image sequence - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Thanks, I’ll try the ‘Slideshow with different durations’ option.

I’d encode each scene then splice them all together in a video editor

If you’re up for a bit of learning, Blender will probably give you the best control + GUI. Check the VSE. You can import a sequence of images and adjust their lengths as needed (to fit a consistent output fps).

Your can copy duplicate the archives and generate video according to the length that wish

ffmpeg -r 25 -i image-%03d.png video.mkv

I use mkv by that it does not use compression and takes very fast in generating the video