Very special image format

Some days before the end of last year I had a little unhappy combination of momentum, gravity and a neglected side walk. It resulted in a broken pinkie on my left hand.
Now I have again a hand without metal in it and two CDs with X Ray images. Of course I wanted to look at the images - but the program on the CD is Windows only. There is some software to work with these DICOM images, very insiderish in vocabulary and UI.

GIMP can open them too…

There are some free DICOM image viewers
available for download. Just set your Web search engine to work…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I used to work for a medical hardware/software vendor, and worked with viewers and storage systems. Millions of dollars for one solution. All the software is terrible.

1 Like

That really a container in a way and not an image type. It can contain stills or video which is often or was in the old days just a motion jpg… you could output all the frames as bmp or tiff or jpg if I recall…

You can try this software to work with them… I think it works with Linux…

I just used GIMP. :grinning:

GIMP on XRAY

nextcloud has a dicom viewer plugin. i packaged that for @asn for reasons :slight_smile:

This looks like a pretty comprehensive list if you need to go beyond GIMP…

Thanks, I hope there will be no need to look at more images in the future…

2 Likes

Just curious, how GIMP manages volumetric (3D) DICOM images?

No idea. I only have old fashioned single shot XRay files.

1 Like

Those x-rays can sometimes (or often ?) Contain things like jpeg2000 or another heavily tile based format . This allows for quick opening to see the whole picture , but can actually contain a heavy, heavy megapixel amount to zoom in and see details.

I somewhere have the feeling that the Gimp image you showed is actually a preview of some sorts… They should be more detail in there than 410x762 :).

I’ve seen my vegetarian use one with the included viewer , and he could zoom in quiet a lot , but every time zooming his ancient pc tool another 20 seconds to load the next zoom level.

At that moment he made a remark in the line of 'that is why i still use analog '.

Kinda shook my head. I love film photography, but the problem here wasn’t in the digital shots , but the user (or the hardware used ).

I‘ll look into it. 600k is a bit much for this size.
I had a quick look at a hexdump, there is a lot of info about the machine and other meta data. They haven‘t set up the machine properly, their address is „Default Clinic in Default Street“.
I‘ll check with some of the recommended software.

ImageMagick can read DICOM files, and write the images to more common formats. See ImageMagick – Image Formats and search for “DICOM”.

1 Like