Very special image format

Some days before the end of last year I had a little unhappy combination of momentum, gravity and a neglected side walk. It resulted in a broken pinkie on my left hand.
Now I have again a hand without metal in it and two CDs with X Ray images. Of course I wanted to look at the images - but the program on the CD is Windows only. There is some software to work with these DICOM images, very insiderish in vocabulary and UI.

GIMP can open them tooā€¦

There are some free DICOM image viewers
available for download. Just set your Web search engine to workā€¦

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I used to work for a medical hardware/software vendor, and worked with viewers and storage systems. Millions of dollars for one solution. All the software is terrible.

1 Like

That really a container in a way and not an image type. It can contain stills or video which is often or was in the old days just a motion jpgā€¦ you could output all the frames as bmp or tiff or jpg if I recallā€¦

You can try this software to work with themā€¦ I think it works with Linuxā€¦

I just used GIMP. :grinning:

GIMP on XRAY

nextcloud has a dicom viewer plugin. i packaged that for @asn for reasons :slight_smile:

This looks like a pretty comprehensive list if you need to go beyond GIMPā€¦

Thanks, I hope there will be no need to look at more images in the futureā€¦

2 Likes

Just curious, how GIMP manages volumetric (3D) DICOM images?

No idea. I only have old fashioned single shot XRay files.

1 Like

Those x-rays can sometimes (or often ?) Contain things like jpeg2000 or another heavily tile based format . This allows for quick opening to see the whole picture , but can actually contain a heavy, heavy megapixel amount to zoom in and see details.

I somewhere have the feeling that the Gimp image you showed is actually a preview of some sortsā€¦ They should be more detail in there than 410x762 :).

Iā€™ve seen my vegetarian use one with the included viewer , and he could zoom in quiet a lot , but every time zooming his ancient pc tool another 20 seconds to load the next zoom level.

At that moment he made a remark in the line of 'that is why i still use analog '.

Kinda shook my head. I love film photography, but the problem here wasnā€™t in the digital shots , but the user (or the hardware used ).

Iā€˜ll look into it. 600k is a bit much for this size.
I had a quick look at a hexdump, there is a lot of info about the machine and other meta data. They havenā€˜t set up the machine properly, their address is ā€žDefault Clinic in Default Streetā€œ.
Iā€˜ll check with some of the recommended software.

ImageMagick can read DICOM files, and write the images to more common formats. See ImageMagick ā€“ Image Formats and search for ā€œDICOMā€.

1 Like