video editing on android

When I was on iPhone I was using iMovie to make little edits of my videos shot on the phone. Nothing fancy, just cut/trim out pieces of videos where nothing was happening, make tight edits in other words.

Since I switched to Android years ago I haven’t found anything similar. I now am in possession of a wonderful Pixel 3a with fantastic optical stabilization and once again I’m looking at this issue.

So the question is: does anybody know about the existence of a small, efficient, possibly open-source, app to do minimalistic video editing on Android?

What I need: trim, cut/copy/paste portion of long clips, maybe add titles etc, no interest in transitions and special effects or even color grading for that matter.

thanks in advance!

I use built-in Samsung’s video editor. I guess it is not available on your Pixel. I looked in F-Droid and did not notice any video editors there. Looks like your options are very limited. I know ffmpeg can trim videos and can be run in Termux on Android but it is a command line tool.

I was hoping KDE binary factory builds Kdenlive for Android but looks like they don’t

1 Like

I’ve tested a few KDE apps on android and they all crashed on opening :frowning:

That’s an excellent phone - I got the same and asked myself the same question already… it seems like FilmoraGo is where it’s at. Not Open Source and you need to splash out 7.99 USD once in a lifetime (and you may ask yourself …) for the ad-free version, but it’s worth it.

thanks stefan for pointing out this app, i’ll give it a try (but honestly, consdering how important is video nowadays, how come the smart folks at google itself haven’t come up with a simple, minimalistic video editor for their platform??)