Video editor - anybody has experience with Shotcut?

Hi Y’alls,

I am using OpenShot for years (since 2012 or so) and I stumbled over Shotcut which seems to be a bit more advanced (color grading and subtitles suck big time in OpenShot … they are in fact inexistant).

Has anybody tried out Shotcut? Does it work well under Linux? Do I have to go with the snap or is there a repo (the one I found (haraldhv) hasn’t been updated for 151 weeks) … ?

Anything?

Thanks in advance ;o)

1 Like

I had a look at it some time ago, but in the end I decided to go with KDEnlive. I forget why… maybe it was NVIDIA GPU support? [edit: may have been that it was opensource, maybe relating to color grading scopes, LUTs, etc.?] Now that I know more, it might be interesting to revisit. Will watch this thread with interest.

Tiny detail: Shotcut, not Shortcut.

1 Like

I have tried all three Kdenlive, OpenShot and Shotcut recently.
On my OS Kubuntu 20.04 and on my ageing laptop I have found Shotcut to work the best, ie freezes are almost non existent and less stutters than on the other two.
I use the AppImage. Shotcut - Download
I think it’s safe to say I’m no expert. :smiley:
Plenty of tutorials on YouTube.
Free to try.

1 Like

Thank you - I corrected the error after your remark.

I use Shotcut on Linux through the appimage. It isn’t the most intuitive, but it has plenty of features and lots of good tutorials. It is very stable and the more I use it the more I like it. I haven’t done heavy duty editing with it, just short videos of a few minutes length with a few tracks and filters, but thus far I have no complaints with it though I wouldn’t mind have the ability to enter clip start and end times rather than dragging with the mouse every time.

1 Like