Video (mp4) to dvd player

I want to mail my grandmother some home videos (most are currently in mp4 format). She has a DVD player connected to her TV so I want to make DVDs that are guaranteed to work on her device. She would want to select the videos by name (Chinese).

I haven’t done this in a very long time: totally forgot what I should do. I prefer FLOSS solutions where possible. Thanks!

Perhaps DeVeDe is what you need. I’ve never used it but it comes with UbuntuStudio as part of the video package. Hope this helps!

I neglected to mention that I am using Windows 10 and won’t have disk space to install Linux (virtual or otherwise). Edit I may have a thumb drive somewhere for the occasion…

Not sure if avidemux would do the job…
EDIT: It seems ro be tutorial:converting_to_dvd [Avidemux]

You’re probably aware of this already, but make sure you know whether her DVD player works with PAL or NTSC. I got burned on that with my father in law once.

On windows, I made dvd a few years ago using first VLC to encode in the good format and dimensions(yes different for PAL or NTSC), then an authoring SW I don’t remember, then cd burnerXP. It was really a pain.

Remember that DVD format is well defined. MPG video / 720x576 (PAL) frame size / 25 fps (PAL) / 48 MHz audio

Your mp4 video will probably end up letterboxed or pillared and frequently with audio out of sync. But worth trying.

The place to go to is www.videohelp.com There is an old Windows version of DeVeDe there: https://www.videohelp.com/download/devede-setup-3.17.0-build2.msi

A better bet might be DVD styler see: DVDStyler 3.2 Free Download - VideoHelp I have used this in the past, not too keen on the menu formats but at least you get menus.

If K3B runs on windows, it can create DVDs.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Somehow forgot everything about this topic. :sweat_smile:

@elGordo @gaaned92 You are all quite right on this. My grandmother bought her hardware from a disreputable seller, so we have no idea what will work and I can’t visit during this COVID-19 lock down.

I have been using DVDStyler and agree that the menu system and other features are limited. I also got a few crashes. In terms of providing a menu, I am unsure whether she can navigate it. Honestly, I have never really used a DVD player myself. I jumped from VHS to the computer’s CD and DVD. :laughing:

One last thing I noticed was that the transcoding was incredibly slow (at least using DVDStyler or Avidemux). Took about 3-4x the runtime to do. I don’t recall it being that slow on any of my retired computers. That said, my laptop does have issues.

I will give DeVeDe and K3B a try later.

PS Forgot to mention that DVDStyler doesn’t seem to support Chinese characters or fonts (i.e., text in the menus or naming of the DVD).

If you have a flash drive, you can grab a bootable Linux distro and boot from USB…

Hello @afre

Some years ago, on Window 7, I have succesfully used Dvdflick:
http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php