Views around Glencoe

On our journey through Glencoe, the lighting was spectacular, and many people kept pulling off the road to stop and take photos. Despite many attempts, I never felt that I was able to capture the true magic of the lighting and scenery which had rays coming down from the sky. I tried by masking the section with the water and using some extreme settings of local contrast, but don’t think it has worked. Let’s see what others can do. The colours were quite muted.

Glen Coe (48).NEF (23.4 MB)
Glen Coe (48).NEF.xmp (26.1 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

10 Likes

Here is my version…

Glen Coe (48)_01.NEF.xmp (16.2 KB)

I like the image and I found it rather challenging, to develop an interesting version. So, thanks for sharing the image :+1:
Not sure if I did any improvements. I’m looking forward to any creative ideas in the other edits.

4 Likes

Thanks, you have captured the rays and introduced less artefacts than I have. I think I probably needed to climb a hill to get a better view down with more of the water, but that wasn’t an option at the time.

1 Like

Here’s my attempt:

Glen Coe (48)_01.NEF.xmp (41.9 KB)

5 Likes

Thanks for your image. My attempt using DT 4.4.2

Glen Coe (48).NEF.xmp (19.7 KB)

1 Like

My bland attempt. Going from your description that “the colors were muted”, I did not try to intensify or brighten them. Also, I’m sure that the background was actually very hazy, so I left that alone, too. I probably missed the mark on all of it.

dt 4.4.2

Glen Coe (48).NEF.xmp (7.1 KB)

5 Likes

You mean it happened at sunset, right? :wink:

views-around-glencoe-Glen Coe (48)_01.NEF.xmp (23.5 KB)
dt 4.4.2

6 Likes

I don’t think so. I like your version. It does look convincing (like most of your edits btw).

2 Likes

Yes you have definetly captured the muted colours
It is the the dramatic rays coming down from the sky lighting up the water with a silvery sheen that seem difficult to portray!

1 Like

Nice! You have managed to capture the rays coming down, so I will have a look at how you did that (perhaps without the rose tinted spectacles although I do quite like them)

1 Like

And here another version (monochrome):

Glen Coe (48)_03.NEF.xmp (47.6 KB)

3 Likes

Guilty as charged haha.

Though I do quite like it in Ansel Adams Instagram also:

views-around-glencoe-Glen Coe (48)_02.NEF.xmp (24.0 KB)
dt 4.4.2

6 Likes

My version…

Glen Coe (48).NEF.xmp (18.2 KB)

5 Likes

My favourite so far. The lighting was close to being this dramatic, although the dark shadows make it look more like Mordor!

I think I have managed some improvement. The “rays” show a little better, but still not dramatically. I do think my clouds and sky look better.

Glen Coe (48)_01.NEF.xmp (9.4 KB)

7 Likes

Glen Coe (48).NEF.xmp (7.4 KB)

DT 4.4.2
The five second edit: monochrome → local contrast → tone equalizer.

2 Likes

4 Likes

This looks good, the HDR preset in local contrast really helps…

1 Like

This is something inspired by your image, but probably a bit over the top …

Glen Coe (48)_04.NEF.xmp (24.9 KB)

5 Likes

Rawtherapee 5.8 + Gimp 2.10.30

3 Likes