Wanted to share: I wrote a book (with colleagues)…

This is not directly related to G’MIC, but I wanted to share this information, with you, the cool people at pixls.us :slight_smile:, because I admit, all this took me a lot of time !!

I wrote a book (with colleagues) entitled: Digital Image Processing with C++, Implementing Reference Algorithms with the CImg Library, published by Taylor & Francis, that will be available on March, 17 (308 pages).

book_cimg_en
(click on the thumbnail to access the official page describing the book in details).

We did that (colleagues from the Clermont-Ferrand University and myself), mainly during the two first COVID lockdowns, writting it first in French (edited as a first book by a French editor, Ellipses). Then we translated it to English, one and a half year later, and found a publisher.

As you may know, CImg is the open-source, C++ library that is used as the core library for image processing in G’MIC. I’ve started writing CImg in the end of 1999 and I’ve been developing and maintaining it ever since then (and maybe, I never would have started this project if I had known in advance how long it would take!).
Clearly, without CImg, I wouldn’t have started to write the code of G’MIC in 2008, so finally yes, it’s a bit related!

Of course, I don’t have big sales ambitions for this book, because I’m not sure that many people still use C++ to do image processing (most people I know working in this field now use Python with Numpy/Pytorch).
But, if you are interested in doing image stuffs with C++ (or you know someone interested in doing so), then don’t hesitate to ask your university/local library to order this book, there are a lot of cool things inside, with different tutorials teaching how to program cool image processing algorithms with CImg :slight_smile:

Next step would be to write another book on the G'MIC framework I guess. I’d love to do that as a next project (I’m pretty sure doing that with @grosgood could be awesome! :wink: ).

That’s it! I just wanted to share this news with you. This is my first real book published in English, so it’s still a great satisfaction for me.

Cheers ! :beers:

David.

23 Likes

Awesome, congrats!

1 Like

There’s also Processing, p5js for generative art going off from discord/generative community. I would use CImg and C++ instead of Python myself though. There’s also shadertoy too.

1 Like

Congratulations! I think it’s a little too technical for me but sounds like fantastic work.

1 Like

Congratulations, @David_Tschumperle!

1 Like

You are the essence of a Renaissance man able to do just about everything needed for success, David. Congrats on the book (just that I don’t program or speak French; lol). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind messages!

I laughed because I often feel like whatever I do, it screws up 99% of the time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t believe you at all here, David! :wink:
Congrats with your first book in English!!

1 Like

So you are an Edison man, then, David (99% sweat that is). lol

Still a success to me. :slight_smile:

Who knows, I preordered a copy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations!

I am not in the target demographic but hope, that enough others are in there and buying it.

Playing around with G’MIC is on may to do list - and I would buy that book for sure!

1 Like

Received one copy today. So far, it looks good! :slight_smile:

10 Likes
commit db7248144b71d0d6b7d64d3edda26274fd4db044
Author: David Tschumperle <David.Tschumperle@unicaen.fr>
Date:   Fri Mar 17 16:00:58 2023 +0100

Final release 3.2.2

Not only that, but the book too :wink:

1 Like