Warm-ish winter day by the lake

DT 4.3
I tried to bring out shadow details to match my expectations.

IMG_5605.CR3.xmp (13.8 KB)

3 Likes

I was torn between offsetting the visual weight of the “layers” but ended up opting for a more literal Rule of Thirds composition. But generally I like more vertically asymmetrical layouts like this. Ideally I would have liked to made the foreground the bulk of the visual “interest” but it just wasn’t that interesting… :slight_smile:

Aw man… you’re tough! LOL :smiley: I’m not sure if any of my photos are up to large / close examination!!

Seriously , thanks.

I shot several focus stack series… Shoot one, then remember I forgot to rotate the polarizer. Shoot another one, then decide I like a different viewpoint. Shoot another series, then notice the plastic trash in the shot. Shoot yet another and then decide to shoot a single-frame version just in case.

Drat!! :smiley:

Then I get home and look at them on my 27" monitor and I was glad I had the single frame version. All the focus stack versions had moving tree limbs, clouds, water, grass…

1 Like

Yes, a bit asymmetrical and also cutting off the negative space that is just grass.
This way the stones and boughs are coming from the edge towards the lake. I think the foreground is interesting enough in terms of calmness of the whole scene. I like it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks fine to me! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this image.
I have done all sorts of silly things in GIMP! Cropped off some of the foreground which I darkened somewhat. Tried to get a little more detail in the darkest areas. Increased the contrast in the water and an increase of contrast and saturation in the sky. All in all I have probably ruined your photograph!

2 Likes

My version…

IMG_5605.CR3.xmp (18.8 KB)

Not ruined at all - That’s why I posted it. :slight_smile:

I think this crop could work but would benefit from some green grass, etc. Of course that holds true for all the others, too – Winter time is dead grass time. I’d be tempted to drop the top crop just a tad to remove the little line of sky peeking through, but that’s just me. I actually ‘cloned’ out two small sky spots in ART. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Time disguises Man and his graves, and the extreme forms and relics of earth and sky.

IMG_5605.CR3.xmp (23.6 KB)

2 Likes

Nice variation with the top and bottom gradients.

I am not posting this to say I’ve made a good edit, only to show that I just made a personal editing breaktrhough. I studied and studied a couple of weeks ago, trying to figure out how to mask a particular color and change it in a way I wanted to. Based on a recent comment by Boris in another thread, I finally got the epiphany I needed.

In this edit, I focused on changing the green trees and the blue sky. Because of my sloppy masks, other parts were affected, too, but this is just a personal proof of concept.

IMG_5605_01.CR3.xmp (8.6 KB)

1 Like

Care to explain?

In my version, IIRC I used a combination of Color Similarity masks to select the colors I wanted and then a Brush mask to refine it. Looks like you got pretty close with darktable, too.

1 Like

I had been able to set the mask, but could not tell what I was supposed to do to actually affect the color change. In a recent post, Boris said something to the effect of, “What I do is not so technical, I just move the hue slider until I get what I want.” That is a very loose quote.

And that led me to understand that I should go to the 4 Ways tab in the ColorBalanceRGB module. Previously, I had been trying to move the sliders in the Mask tab.

I am an old man, and I learn more by reading than by watching videos. When I had been trying to study Boris’s videos, I just never made the connection to exactly what I was supposed to do.

3 Likes

Yet another version…

IMG_5605.CR3.xmp (15.7 KB)

4 Likes

IMG_5605-2.jpg.out.pp3 (17.1 KB)
An elongated locality enhancing the forest zone with dehaze and exposure. RT-5.9

1 Like

Lovely landscape, I tried to desaturate the foreground and enhance the trees and the forest :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Actually I tried to raise saturation of the foreground, given the dead nature of the pine needles and grass. LOL It’s interesting how different people see things differently.

My fun in GIMP

2 Likes