Watergate (no, not that one)

Taken on a walk up Ben Vrackie

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

20220929_0058.NEF (60.5 MB)
20220929_0058.NEF.xmp (13.7 KB)

5 Likes

RT5.8 dev

20220929_0058.jpg.out.pp3 (16.9 KB)

EDIT:
Well I was going for colorful but after looking at this on another screen I had to dial it back quite a bit. I’ll leave the old one but here’s another one…

20220929_0058.jpg.out.pp3 (26.7 KB)

20220929_0058.NEF.xmp (9.1 KB)

darktable 4.0.1 + sharpening in Gimp + GMIC.

1 Like

That sure is one giant RAW file that your Nikon D850 produces. Lots to work with, which by comparison makes my B&W treatment below seem a bit minimalistic…

ART sidecar: Trying to upload sidecar correctly … hopefully this works:
20220929_0058.NEF.arp (21.8 KB)

Thanks for the chance to work on this engaging image.

4 Likes

I don’t know what is happening with your arp files or if I’m doing something wrong but the arp file doesn’t seem to match the original RAW.

RAW is 20220929_0058.NEF but the sidecar is DSZ_1481.NEF.arp, which implies it’s from another image. This happened on another recent post but I ignored it as a one-off issue.

I’ve tried to load the DSZ sidecar into the original image and the image is still in colour.

If I load the arp file into a text editor it says the black and white module isn’t enabled. Of course you could have used another module to make it black and white but I can’t find it in the arp file.

[Black & White]
Enabled=false

It’s not a major issue for me however I like to see how others use art.

1 Like

Well now, this is fascinating … upon reading your post I initially thought I must have simply screwed up my upload. But upon attempting to upload the file named 20220929_0058.NEF.arp I repeatedly see that the wrong file (DSZ_1481.NEF.arp) gets uploaded instead.

This happens whether I use the upload icon or drag and drop from my file manager window.

I cannot seem to get the associated arp file to upload - and an incorrect file is uploaded instead. Perhaps this also explains a previous similar incident you’ve described (which I never noticed before).

I will continue to try to find a way to address this and revise my post above once I’ve figured it out.

Thanks for alerting me to this weirdness!

@Phil_Smith UPDATE: Thanks again for pointing this out. Apparently there was something odd going on within ART itself. Why an alternative .arp file was uploaded instead is unexplainable, as I confirmed the properties of the intended .arp file was the correct name and timestamp - but when I tried to use that .arp file as a profile within ART it did not function properly.

I was able to replicate my ART edits by importing my processing choices from the jpg itself (a neat trick that ART provides for - perhaps Rawtherapee does too?) - that worked. But still left me wondering why the actual .arp file itself wasn’t working properly.

I tried rebooting/restarting all apps involved, no difference in outcome.

Finally, I reloaded the NEF RAW, and then file-loaded the additional .arp file stored in my .cache (I opt to have both alongside the RAW file and a backup made in my .cache for duplicate sidecars). That separate .arp file (from my .cache) matching this RAW file functioned properly right off (whereas the .arp file created alongside the RAW image - that wouldn’t upload to the pixls.us website properly - did nothing I could detect within ART, despite having a file length of 12KiB and properly named to match the RAW image).

So, once I got my B&W edits working again using that backup .arp sidecar, I then generated another jpg from the RAW + backup sidecar, and this new 20220929_0058.NEF.arp was produced, which I included up above in my original post.

If you have a chance (and any interest) please let me know if this .arp file does the trick for you.

I still have no idea why ART’s behavior was weird in this respect. Unclear to me whether I’ve done something at my end or whether ART has some odd bug somewhere along the line that reared its head for some reason. :thinking:

1 Like

dt 4

20220929_0058.NEF.xmp (6.3 KB)

2 Likes

Yes this works now thank you.

Great investigation by you, I never knew about checking the .cache for arp files.

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0.1

20220929_0058_03.NEF.xmp (21.3 KB)

My version…

20220929_0058.NEF.xmp (17.1 KB)

I must admit I like the crop on this one, the sky between the trees doesn’t add anything.

2 Likes

Yeah, those .arp sidecar files can also be automatically duplicated within the Linux “home/.cache/ART/profiles” folder as a preference menu selection - which provides a backup in a pinch. Being tiny files they take up minimal space even when accumulated, although you can readily delete them if desired.

They’ve bailed me out a few times (… hey, this makes me wonder what I might be doing that requires such a bailout?) :thinking:

BTW, the same sidecar options are available within Rawtherapee, which no doubt is whence ART inherited this feature.

Here my try

1 Like

darktable 4.0.1

20220929_0058.NEF.xmp (15.5 KB)

1 Like

As always for me - in GIMP.
I tried to add “sparkle” to the water, darkened the rocks bottom right and accentuated the discolouration and the lichen on the gate. Cropped a bit tighter.

1 Like

Darktable 4.0.1

20220929_0058.NEF.xmp (16,5 KB)