Waveform and Vectorscopes for RawTherapee

Why not ask for a 3D gamut viewer then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On a more serious note: do you expect to do any measurement on scopes? That’s not really what they are intended for afaik. Though, the outer ring in Resolve shows some angular markings, so maybe there could be a use case for that.

@priort While comparing to Resolve can be useful, what tools would you expect to use in a photography oriented scope? Do you need such fine-grained control?

@afre
I wouldn’t say the axes and circles represent color distances well, but they do represent the color space accurately. I want to keep the markings simple and avoid excessive labeling. It’s not that hard to conclude what each circle means in the H-S vectorscope. The H-C vectorscope is a bit different. I think one label for the outermost circle should be enough.

That would make the feature easier to discover :slight_smile:. I chose the current implementation because there isn’t much room in the histogram panel. If the slider is in the collapsible column, that wouldn’t be an issue.

@priort
DaVinci Resolve’s vectorscope is a U-V vectorscope. Unfortunately, there’s no way to show the same targets on the H-S and H-C vectorscopes. As for the low, mid, and high ranges, I’m not sure if the usefulness justifies the added complexity.

1 Like

What does a point on the vector scope represent? The angular and radial coordinates represent the hue and saturation (or chroma), respectively, together showing the distribution of colours.

Since we are currently given concentric circles going from 0-100°, are we to assume that for any hue (and implicit brightness), the saturation (or chroma) is normalized to each concentric circle?

OMG, YES!

Thank you!

I would use it like this with a color card and to tweak skin tones. https://youtu.be/Gm0HWEql3z4

@priort Interesting video, thank you!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Might just do it in Davinci and create a lut……

@priort Resolve doesn’t work on many Linux distributions.

I don’t entirely understand what you are asking, but there is no normalization. In the H-S vectorscope, the circles represent 25, 50, 75, and 100% saturation (or 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, and 1.0 on a scale of [0-1]). On the H-C vectorscope, the circles should represent 32, 64, 96, and 128 chroma, although it is currently wrong and I need to fix it.

I may be able to plot those colors in the H-C vectorscope…

1 Like

That is okay. I don’t think it matters to most people. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, that answer is not really helpful.

Sorry, I have to deal with more serious matters. (Usually is the case but I try to stay positive here.) I could continue this another time.

the vecorscope is a tremendous improvements, especially to achieve the skin tone. All good video editors have it, including DaVinci of course, which is one of the best.
I saw in a video that RT 5.9 should have the vectorscope built in. Super. But please, can you rotate the display so that the marker for skin tone is at about 11 o’clock and not about 2 o’clock? That would be very helpful.

1 Like

Hello sguyader,
DaVinci does not run on my Manjaro, my computer does not have an extra graphics card. I work with Kdenlive and am reasonably satisfied. Of course they also have a vectorscope.

I can rotate the vectorscope, but can you clarify how it is helpful?

Hello,
the usual arrangement is something like this (in Video-Editor Kdenlive):
Kdenlive YUV
and in DaVinci:
DaVinci 214DD33758BE346D2C
It would certainly be I very good to position the vectorscope as is standard in the industry. I am very much looking forward to the new RawTherapee.
Thanks

1 Like

Hallo Lawrence37,
I had forgotten to write the reasons you asked why to rotate it:
In all video editors the vectorscope has this position of colors and skin tone marker. If someone edits videos as well as photos, this would be a useful unification.

1 Like

Ok, so the rotation is to make it consistent with vectorscopes from other applications. The thing is, those vectorscopes are UV vectorscopes while the ones in RT are HS and HC. The HC one I will leave as-is so that the a* and b* axes point in the standard directions. The HS one, I’m not so sure. I don’t want to give the impression that it is identical to the UV vectorscope.

Why would that be a problem? If there is a big difference between the two then editing for the skin tone line would give much different results so there would be no point in using the skin tone line in the way that people are currently used to doing so. If there is no big difference then why does it matter that people are not reading the notes and do not realize it is HS rather then UV?

When the colors along the UV “skin tone” line are transformed into hue-saturation, they also form a line. However, that does not mean there are minimal differences between the two types of vectorscopes. An example is colors with high HSL saturation. If you have an image with a variety of saturated colors, the HS vectorscope will look like a large ring, whereas the UV vectorscope will show a filled-in hexagonal shape. It’s important to understand how each vectorscope works in order to correctly interpret them.