Waveform histogram

Don’t thank me, thank @Lawrence37, who implemented waveform and vectorscope for RT and he’s the one who can give you better answers for this than me.

This is a good explanation: How to Use and Read the Four Primary Video Scopes

I just compiled the latest dev, and the new scopes seem to be working great. These are very useful tools, thanks @Lawrence37!

1 Like

Oh, but you’re the first one to provide an explanation that made sense to me… :laughing:

2 Likes

Of course, @Lawrence37! Great work :pray:
(and one of @heckflosse’s latest merits were earned with the excellent capture sharpening tool)

Thank you for this words :slight_smile:

Have a look at the latest video from Andy. Very good!

7 Likes

Cheers Ingo :+1: :+1:

RT has always been brilliant but these have made it stratospheric - colour just got silly-simple thanks to @Lawrence37

5 Likes

Hi @Andy_Astbury1 thanks for the nice tutorial on the waveform and scopes! You’re a great ambassador for RT to the public :+1:
Did you know you can also click-and-drag on the canvas of the scope and waveform itself to change the brightness? Might save you the hassle to click the small slider.

Also, on a more fundamental note, what is the advantage of using the RGB curves when setting the skin tones? My first instinct would be to go for a hue related tool, in L*a*b* probably since it behaves nicely (mostly) linear. And would a properly white balanced shot with a grey card even need this adjustment step?

1 Like

Where can I find 5.9 dev??
Or whatever it is called…the one with the waveforms…

You can get it (read: clone/pull and build it yourself) from GitHub:

Instructions on how to build from source can be found at the bottom of the above linked page. I’m on Linux (Debian 10) and it compiles/builds without any problems.

I’m not aware of there being an appimage or nightly build for the development version. See next post by @XavAL

PS: At the moment of writing this I’m not able to reach the RawPedia website (temporarily down?)

1 Like

If I’m not wrong, you can download development version appimages from here: Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

5 Likes

You’re too kind Roel :smiley:

Now that’s something I didn’t know - useful tip thank you.

Only one - trying to keep it real simple. Anyone with a long history of Lr/Ps will be familiar with RGB curves and will understand this method pretty much straight away.

Depends on how much you trust your lighting and grey card! But it would be a wise move to go through the motions just to check everything - IMO of course…paying clients can be quite picky! And here I’m thinking cosmetic product shots and pantone matching more than your standard portrait sitting.

Cheers Roel :+1: :+1:

3 Likes