Waveform histogram

Hi All,
looking to Darktable saw there’s an histogram form I didn’t see ever or often.
That’s the waveform

waveform

Would be of some utility in RT, too? Or would be too much complex to implement??

Thanks
Gabriele

2 Likes

As to not seeing it ever or often - it’s very common in video-oriented products.

As to implementing it in RT - interesting idea, not sure how difficult it would be.

This comes up once in a while and I usually add the comment or two that I would absolutely love more types of visualization of the data. I have also seen some inventive variations of the standard waveforms and vectorscopes.

@dafrasaga What is your particular use case for a waveform? What kind are you looking for?

Hi, I saw it in a tutorial where It is useful for ETTR exposition, but I do not understand more :frowning:

ETTR is something you figure out while taking the photo.

1 Like

The main benefit of the waveform display is that it not only lets you see that you’re clipping a channel in the histogram, but to give you an idea of WHERE in your image (at least in the horizontal plane) you are clipping.

An alternative to this is a mix of histogram and “zebras” or other methods of over/underexposure highlighting that change the color of a pixel if it is brighter or darker than a given threshold.

1 Like

@hanatos showed me the Waveform histogram at lgm 2019, and it’s really cool. Maybe we can steal the code :wink:

2 Likes

It is a steal for sure. :wink:

Well, that balances over the time :wink:

2 Likes

Representing all Canadians.

Ok, I know it… in fact it was obscure because waveform histogram in post production would done useful for ETTR.

In RT , when I want to know where is clipping I use, as you, the clipping indicator and for what channel is clipped the preview channel button at the top of the preview window…therefore… what is the utility of the waveform histogram for that… ?

For reference: Add more scopes · Issue #4763 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks for the information

i doubt you need to steal these two lines of code. probably faster to type your own version than to copy/paste + fixup… :

2 Likes

WOW!! waveform is in dev @Lawrence37 Thanks a lot !! :+1:

4 Likes

Now my task will be to understand what it indicates :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The horizontal axis in the waveform histogram corresponds to the horiziontal axis of your image. Means you can see where for example highlights are clipped

3 Likes

Thanks! Now as you say it … I also had a look at the video linked a bit above. So the white bar on top indicates “all channels clipped”.
And big thanks for implementing all kind of useful tools!