Website gimpchat.com down?

Keep trying :slight_smile: Sometimes the server is up, sometimes itā€™s notā€¦ Shortly after posting the above I couldnā€™t reconnect, but about one hour later it worked again.

But I agree that the site requires attention by its owner. Maybe the current mods/admins should attempt a ā€˜coup de forumā€™. It worked very well for Python-forum.org (now python-forum.io).

Would telling people about this forum be bad?

If imagine going forward it might be safer to point folks towards http://gimp-forum.net

Most of the GC crowd has shown up on GF.N, but the latter isnā€™t the social club that GC is:)

My real suggestion to them would be to start their ownā€¦

How do you " Start your own"?

Buy a domain name and some hosting, install the software and start promoting it!

The easy part:

1. Grab a domain name ($12/year)
  2. Grab a Virtual Private Server (aka VPS) ($5 a month), (pixls.us and gimp-forum.net are both on digitalocean.com, so far so good)
  3. Install free software on VPS,
  4. Associate VPS address to domain name

ā€¦ and there you go. Some Linux proficiency helps.

The slightly harder part is

1. Convincing a critical mass of people to use your thing (be patient, this can take a year or more)
  2. Keeping hackers and spammers at bay.
  3. Finding 2-3 other motivated people that you can trust with all the passwords (and share some of the expenses with), so that the thing doesnā€™t go down the drain if you get bored with it.

Keep in mind that this wonā€™t be your child, this will be the communityā€™s child.

3 Likes

All of @Ofnuts slightly harder parts are the key. A better option, in my opinion, is to become a contributing member and good citizen of a community. Write, post, engage, and promote.

If you can keep high quality content flowing, the community will sometimes follow (weā€™ve been extremely lucky here to have some incredible members and community in general). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The IPs donā€™t work now (one you posted and the one a guy named David). I suspect though that GIMPChatā€™s trying to rise up again. I did get a PM notice emailed me from GIMPChat; I suspect it was from Ofnuts since heā€™s the only one that apparently was able to access GIMPChat. lol

I did do a return email, but I suspect the admins for GIMPChat wonā€™t respond. Maybe replication of the new IP and domain servers with sinc by tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Omega just posted a message on GC and it seems GC is back in the DNS serversā€¦

Yes; indeed it is, Ofnuts. I just posted there myself. :slight_smile: