Website gimpchat.com down?

For me it is not possible to access www.gimpchat.com (for about 24 hours now). Is it just me? Or is the website down suddenly?

Looks like they didn’t renew the lease to the domain… meanwhile gimp-forum.net is open for business :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The WHOIS record for gimpchat.com has be updated and the name is renewed to 2017-11-07. It may just take a while to propagate in DNS servers…

Did a Google check and it appears that the last time it was viable was on Jan 17th. I know a few here also have posted at GIMPChat. Not sure if anyone has any contacts with the OP since Tux sold it to a 3rd party. I’ll try to contact Tux as well to see if he knows what’s going on. Anyway, if any of you have info or contacts and can share, please do. :slight_smile:

Try here: Website gimpchat.com down?

A post was split to a new topic: Beautify Plugin (Mac)

Sorry that I missed this thread (but it my retort was merged here). Just read my email from Scott (Tux) and he did give Rod more info into this matter. Scott no longer owns or controls GIMPChat as you all already know, but he does have the contact info to the new owners. Anyway, that’s all I have; hopefully what you have reported is true, Ofnuts. Thanks for that info too. :slight_smile:

Most certainly gimpchat folks are welcome here! I’d love to see more gimp discussion.

I didn’t know about the transfer of ownership before - was it sold? It’s a pity I didn’t know about it as GIMP may have been ok with purchasing the domain/forum. Who are the new owners, and was the intention to continue running the site?

All I know is they guy’s name is Jacob and he goes by the handle Omega according to Tux. That was a few years back now so he’s been running the show well until recently, Pat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The show sort of runs by itself… day-to-day ops are taken care of by the mods and BB admins. The admin/owner is only needed to renew the lease on the server and the domain name, apply software updates, and disk maintenance. GC is IMHO going the way ot GimpForums and GimpTalk (and python-forum.org, but the mods mutined and founded their own).

I agree with you, Ofnuts; the mods kept things well oiled for sure. Unfortunately, I suppose the owners felt like there was nothing in it for them so they let the lease go. GIMPChat was a great forum but now I will, I suppose, have to find another GIMP portal (or go back to GIMPTalk; have, occasionally, posted there, but not much since GIMPChat). Regardless, I’m getting old and I tire of such things, Ofnuts. Don’t like drama. :slight_smile:

@lylejk your posts are consistently interesting, so I hope you settle on somewhere rather than abandoning! :slight_smile:

Here’s hoping it comes back, some good stuff on there amongst the noise…

Thanks for the words, GC; I’ll figure out a good home soon hopefully. Still; would like GIMPChat to get their act together and all go back to what it was.

What happen to my old GimpChat? I land up on CG Cookie Blender site???

We all would like to know Lurifax. I’ve yet received an answer other than the standard didn’t renew with ISP one. :slight_smile:

Over on gimp-forum.net Wallace showed a mail from Omega saying things would be fixed soon. But that was on 19/1…

Thanks for the update, Ofnuts. Here’s to hoping. If GIMPChat does come back online, I’ll give them the chance. I’ve definitely given GIMPTalk (my first GIMP portal) many chances before I all but stopped posting there. lol

I like pixls, but it’s horizon is beyond just a GIMP Portal; still, I post here mainly in the GMIC forum. All places have there purpose. :slight_smile:

GimpChat is not dead. It can be used if you know the IP address and do the proper setup in your /etc/hosts.

See here for the gory details.

Just tried the IP address you gave. It is for GimpChat, but still not working.