What app best for printing darktable images

I am using darktable for my photo imaging. Its running however on Windows 8.1 and I am unable to print directly from darkatble.
Are there any suggestion as to what a good app is to use for printing my exported images?
Thank you

I used GIMP.

@aptillie darktable printing needs cups.
Is cups available for Win?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Do you have any idea what the CUPS acronym stands for :nerd_face: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ja, zeker.
But maybe someone has invented a CWPS?

If I remember correctly there used to be a GUI that ran on, along other OS’s, Windows to access CUPS running on a *nix box.

Running CUPS in a VM (very minimal Linux install) on the Windows machine will probably work though. Should be able to access it from windows this way.

Thank you Colin. I just started trying to use Gimp to print, but I still have a hard time sizing my images properly. Guess I’ll keep trying.

I’m used to film and having my lab do this for me.

What is cups and how does it work?

https://linuxconfig.org/linux-cups-tutorial-for-beginners

Thank you. I see this is for Linux but I’m using Windows 8.1.

Look at Qimage, it is not FOSS, I believe a labor of love, well established, and produces outstanding results. There is a free trial.

1 Like

You could also try xnview.

I should have mentioned Qimage is only a printing application, it does nothing else. Thanks.

Try this its a very feature rich program. Authored by one of the original creators of Lotus 1-2-3.
Its a bit quirky as an editor but it has some powerful tools and it can do colormanaged printing…you can even create custom output curves.
https://www.dl-c.com/Downloads.html

Picture Window Pro 8.0. He produces great documentation for the features…

Actually its a bit like a nodal editor with modules be added in a folder tree like fashion. If you want to parallel process an image you just add a side branch…its very clever actually…He uses split opacity/strength sliders so you can add a module effect and then also tweak the amount added to a masked region with the same instance…lots on neat little interface tweaks…should run on Window 8 I think. I run it on Win10

It will open raw files but you want it to print DT edits so you will have to feed it Tiff exports…

Here is the documentation for printing

1 Like