What are the key parameters for choosing a monitor of photo editing?

It’s time I sought some better informed opinions on this, to help me make a better choice.

I’m planning to purchase a new monitor for photo editing, for which I will be using darktable (migrating from Lightroom). One of the key ‘features’ I need is more real-estate: the right hand panel in darktable’s darkroom gets far too busy on my 1080p-sized monitor, but I’m not sure whether a QHD sized-monitor (2560x1440) is going to give me enough of an increase, or whether I should just go directly to a 4k (3840x2160) monitor.

The other key factor, which almost all reviewers fail to discuss, is pixel-pitch. Yes, the 4k Mac (as an example of a 4K monitor) gives a wonderfully detailed view with its pixel pitch of 163 ppi, but the pixels are tiny (0.15 mm or so), compared to what I learned years ago was good design for people with average visual acuity - which was a pixel size of about 0.25 to 0.29 mm. I personally have very poor visual acuity, while I need to ability to read documents easily - especially those using 6-point font

So which is more suitable for me: QHD with a 109 ppi pixel-pitch, but only 2560x1440 on a 27" display, or 4K with a 163 ppi pixel-pitch and tiny text, but 3840x2160 on a 4K display? I’m not motivated to go larger than 27", given the size of desk and room.

Having got past that ‘size’ decision point, what are the other important parameters - IPS? LCD back-lighting? OLEO display (or is this important only for touch screens?), in-built calibration tools? What else?

I cant really comment on your specific needs, but I recently upgraded monitor. I went for a BenQ PD3200U. And i got to say 32" wasnt as big as I expected. Now i wouldn’t want anything smaller. I run it at 3840x2160 and find it great for Darktable and Davinci resolve. And i don’t find text too small (and that can be adjusted anyway). Its IPS and factory calibrated to 100% sRGB, so missing larger gamut. I find it great for the price, and my prints come out as I see them on the screen.

Scaling solves the issues with high pixel pitch.

Higher is better… but if your visual acuity is that poor, perhaps you won’t actually benefit from 4k.

I had not looked at this, but was attracted to BenQ in general. Now that I look, the price for this one in UK is less than I would have imagined. But this is from their 'Design Vue ’ series, not their ‘Photo Vue’ series. What made you take that choice?

Note that a QHD or 4K monitor might cause your OS to apply some scaling to keep the GUI readable. Windows does this (125% or 150%), but it can be turned off. This somewhat reduces the benefit of having more pixels. Also be aware that actual number of pixels shown for your image increases (by a factor of 4 when you go from HD to 4K), so you need more processing power to render your previews.

For what it’s worth, I have the 27" version of the same display as @Tore_Valberg (the BenQ PD2700U) and it’s large enough for me. Edit: it’s also very nice to edit my photos on.

A much more relevant feature to look for in a new monitor is the available color gamut and one that can display 10 bit colors. Pretty much anything has 98+% sRGB coverage these days, and there are many screens that reach 100% once properly calibrated. I would try to find a monitor within your budget that has a high coverage of Adobe RGB and DCI-P3.

Hmm, good advice; thanks.

For me it was:

• 10bit color, native
  • hardware calibration
  • large gamut

If money matters, the 27" Asus ProArt PA278QV is 100% VGA and costs a modest $299 - I have one right in front of me.

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/All-series/ProArt-Display-PA278QV

1 Like

To be honest I didn’t put much thought into that, I knew what size/resolution I wanted and searched up reviews on “best value for money” for my usage. 4K video editing and Photo editing. And in a price range that fits an amateur.

Indeed, in windows it set me to 125% automatically. I reset it to 100% and that works fine for me. But I can see how that may be small for. My dayjob is sysadmin, so its really handy to have many ssh sessions spread over my screen.

100 % VGA? Should be more in the 3€ range then…

3 Likes