What does DCI-P3 Color space mean for a darktable user when choosing a monitor?

I will be replacing my aged (10+ years) monitor with a 1680x1050 resolution.

The two candidates are summarized below:

A) 24", 1920x1200 pixels, ~10bit, Adobe RGB coverage 99% (DCI-P3 coverage 95%)

B) 24", 2560x1440 pixels, 8bit, DCI-P3 coverage 95% (Adobe RGB not mentioned).

I am just over 60. Other than routine uses (Internet browsing, reading/writing etc.) the monitor will be used for image processing. For raw images, that means darktable most of the time.

I print occasionally and I will probably be printing more in the coming months. I should be happy to anticipate the look of my prints with less trial&error.

My questions are :

• Considering ergonomics, should I opt for more resolution or more panel color bit depth?
  • What does the coverage of 95% of DCI-P3 (? Display P3) color space mean for a darktable user?

The price difference between these monitors -of different brands- is not significant.

Note: I hope, this message is not taken as irrelevant as it might seem to be on hardware. For me, it is definitely on darktable because I wouldn’t be replacing my monitor if I wasn’t starting to be able to use darktable with a much better understanding of it nowadays.

Also have a look here:

1 Like

DCI-P3 is a color space that Apple hardware often is “calibrated” to. I believe it is important for movies and video production. But maybe it’s only an American thing.
The DCI-P3 space is has a similar volume to AdobeRGB, but it is a bit differently shaped - it shows slightly differenct colors. So for photo editing I would definitely recommend the first screen.

3 Likes

DCI-P3 is basically the global standard for cinema.

Right now, the display and content delivery workflows for video are waaaay ahead of stills. Getting anything wider than sRGB with a depth of more than 8 bits to a recipient is basically impossible for stills, but there are multiple standardized and widely deployed methods (HDR10/HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG) for delivering 10-bit wide gamut video to an end user.

1 Like

That’s one reason why darktables scene referred workflow is hard to understand if you’re used to just drag some sliders and curves between 0 and 1 …