What Every Coder Should Know About Gamma

I was tasked to summarize a request to a UI/UX project at a university for GIMP recently, and one of the things that the team thought would benefit from some input would be the way to represent linear/non-linear histogram data and modifications in dialogs like Levels and Curves.

pippin pointed me to an article to help bring me up to speed on the topic, and I thought it would be a neat read for anyone else interested in the topic, so here it is:

http://blog.johnnovak.net/2016/09/21/what-every-coder-should-know-about-gamma/

7 Likes

The part about font antialiasing was interesting.

Thanks @patdavid, interesting, I’ll re-read that sometime.
I think someone said RT is very good and does some or all of its operations in linear gamma mode behind the scenes - hmmm, not sure I really know what I’m talking about - but can anyone clarify please?

Most of the processing in RT is in CIELAB space. There are some exceptions of course, like raw preprocessing, demosaic, Exposure, RGB-Curves, Film-Simulations, CIECAM02 and some others, but from a certain point up to final conversion to output space all processing is in CIELAB space. I hope that answers your question.

Ingo

hi Ingo, thanks. I’ve found what I think led to my linear gamma comment -
"Note that the working profile will only specify the red, green and blue primaries, gamma will not change as RawTherapee’s processing pipeline is floating point with no gamma encoding (that is gamma = 1.0). Some tools (like curves and histograms) will still display with a gamma (usually sRGB gamma) which is hard-coded for the tool and stays the same regardless of working profile. "
This is from Rawpedia, Colour Management, Working Profile.