What happened with the OBS builds?

I just upgraded from Linux Mint 20.3 to 21 yesterday. Very smooth via mintupgrade. Darktable master via OBS just works.

2 Likes

Thanks, I plan to do it this weekend.

seems this change made it into 4.2.0

Yep, just did the same. Fairly smooth. It knocked Darktable back to version 3.8, but I immediately upgraded it to 4.2 from the OBS. Working now.

Only annoying thing is high cpu usage from an indexing daemon called tracker3 that they installed. If it doesn’t settle soon it will get ripped out.

I’m still using ubuntu 20.04 with cmake 3.16.1 and I can compile just fine (I have one in progress right now). I get deprecation warnings about the C compiler being version 9.4.0, but that is the only issue.

I’m on 22.10, the build and the OS in general are OK. OpenCL works with Nvidia. I use KDE.

1 Like

rawspeed requires/required cmake 3.18 so we dropped the distro. And this is still the case in HEAD of the 4.2.x branch:

src/external/rawspeed/CMakeLists.txt
1:cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.18)

Please check if it really still builds if you drop your build directory and run cmake from scratch.

Never mind, I forgot that I had built and installed cmake version 3.22 in /usr/local. I just queried the installed and 3.16.1 showed up so I assumed that was the version I was using. Sorry for the noise.

Thanks @kofa , I’ll have to see about upgrading to 22.10.

@wpferguson , so it’s possible to build DT if you make your own cmake, yes? Is this hard (for “basic” user) ? Are you able to post up the recipe pls?! Is doing this a risk to system integrity, e.g. having non-standard versions of things? Will a subsequent sudo apt upgrade go wrong?!

Here’s a link to the cmake tarball I used, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s0gUSQ-tBvN4g65UHIF_CGfDHoBhre_3/view?usp=share_link. Download it and extract it. Go into the directory and do ./bootstrap && make && sudo make install. It gets installed in /usr/local. You can check that it’s getting used by doing a cmake --version.

Thank you, downloaded. I’ll see about running this, still a bit concerned about it possibly causing a conflict somewhere in Ubuntu etc.

So you won’t overwrite anything shipped by the distro. /usr/local is for locally built/deployed packages.

I actually build to my home directory, so I don’t need root rights, and there is no way for the build to touch the distro files.

The attached shell script assumes that darktable master is checked out to darktable directly in my home directory; it places the compiled files in darktable-master.
bdtm.txt (746 Bytes)
Rename the file to bdtm (build darktable master), make it executable, add it to the path (or put it in a directory of your choice and invoke it using your_directory/bdtm). You’ll need to check out the darktable source code using git clone.

@kofa , thanks.
When I read your post I thought bdtm.txt might do everything, including setting up a new CMAKE, however having looked at bdtm.txt, I can’t see how it would do that. So I think I need to do @wpferguson 's process first. Is that correct pls?

My script does not deal with installing cmake or any other dependency, as those are one-off activities, plus I’m on 22.10.

Running and building bleeding-edge software on a distro targeting stability is a kind of contradiction.
You can make your life easier, though, by installing a new version of cmake using a PPA (personal package archive). Once you add the PPA to your machine’s software repositories, you can just use the regular ways to install and upgrade software; you won’t have to build cmake separately.

When you upgrade your distro (e.g. to 22.10), the upgrade procedure will disable PPAs to avoid conflicts.

So, to install a new version of cmake, either

The risk is that if the PPA gets abandoned, and newer versions appear, there may be dependency conflicts. However, I’ve used PPAs for years, and did not really run into problems.

Many thanks for writing all that!, so helpful.

@wpferguson , I finally just got round to building cmake so I can resume building darktable. I ran the command line you said but it’s failing on OpenSSL as follows
– Looking for gethostname
– Looking for gethostname - found
– Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_CRYPTO_LIBRARY OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
CMake Error at Utilities/cmcurl/CMakeLists.txt:562 (message):
Could not find OpenSSL. Install an OpenSSL development package or
configure CMake with -DCMAKE_USE_OPENSSL=OFF to build without OpenSSL.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/bill/Documents/Cmake-3p22/cmake-3.22.2/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/bill/Documents/Cmake-3p22/cmake-3.22.2/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
---------------------------------------------
Error when bootstrapping CMake:
Problem while running initial CMake
---------------------------------------------

Excuse the formatting.
What do I do next please, and if it’s an OpenSSL development package, where do I get that?

Install package graphics:darktable / darktable now has 4.2.1 for Ubuntu 22.04, 21.10 and 21.04 (but only 4.0.1 for 22.10).

1 Like

Hope you don’t mind asking another question related to OBS in the thread: Any chance to release 4.4.2 there?