What kind of lens produces this flare?

I’m interested to know how to achieve this flares and what lenses produce those?
The screenshot is from the Netflix original “The Politician”.

edit:
I’m looking for the lens that produces this particular type of lens flare.
The hexagonal bokeh like flare with pattern of squircles inside.

The main thing I’m interested in is the squircles pattern.

As far as I know these lens flares are video overlays, you can find some on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lensflare+overlay

For photographs you can find some overlays here:

It could be but I really think it’s not.
These flares are present in every episode, none are repeated as an overlay would be and you can point to a light source for each flare. And when they use a different lens there are different types of flares (the normal ones without the pattern inside).
Also I think I’ve seen this type of flares in some lens review video but I can’t find it anymore and I searched a lot.

That said if someone knows about a lens flare pack with this pattern inside, let me know.

To avoid this effect, photographers (and videographers and film-makers) use lens hoods to avoid a light source that is outside the image frame from reaching the front element of the lens, and then bouncing around between elements of the lens before reaching the film/sensor.

So, if you want the effect, the first step is to remove any lens hood. Shoot a dark scene with a strong light source just outside the frame. Use a wide-angle lens at a large aperture. More elements (eg zooms) and less coating (eg cheap lenses) give “better” effects.

I feel like I should elaborate more.
I’m looking for the lens that produces this particular type of lens flare.
The hexagonal bokeh like flare with pattern of squircles inside.

The main thing I’m interested in is the squircles pattern.

The last hexagonal bokeh near the top right does not have the pattern. Are you sure that the pattern inside the bokeh is caused by the lens and not by background or foreground?

Since you can modify the shape of those bokeh circles by sticking self created apertures on your wide open lens (mind you, even on the front of the lens works, doesn’t have to be at the actual aperture position of your lens), my suspicion ist that this is a deliberate effect. Diffusion filter bokeh would look like speckels in the bokeh-balls. Maybe this is a stretched stocking (for improvised diffusion) in front of the lens? Or someone printed something semi translucent and stuck it to the lens?
In short: I suspect a deliberate filtering which is not part of the lens but of the creative departments thought process.

1 Like

I agree. It looks like an artistic flare. Something added in post, the lens or the light source.

@KristijanZic Have you tried asking the creator? Trade secret? Won’t hurt to try.

@PhotoPhysicsGuy Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

thank you so much :slight_smile:

One thing is for sure, this is not the way they did it:

1 Like

This might be the way to do it:

1 Like