What linux distribution do you prefer and why?

Sherebyah, do you know whether your Fedora distro uses Wayland or Xorg? LXDE uses Xorg, so if you have Wayland it would be problematic. Anyway, I do not have much experience with Nvidia cards since I use Intel GPU. In my case I installed Fedora using Xorg from the beginning.

But you do have nouveau driver taking over after reboot, right? Maybe it is the result of deficient NVidia driver installation. I would suggest to try the officially recommended way of installing them using rpm fusion instructions.

My process is to install Fedora Workstation and then add XFCE. After that I usually use XFCE and sometimes try Gnome with Wayland or Xorg (both are available).

Pretty painless install of Debian 12 KDE, along with colour management and colour profiling software :slight_smile:

1 Like

It uses xorg

1 Like

Yes I will try that out shortly.

@Santiago-Ignacio @tankist02
Guys, I just did dnf update & upgrade and now Nvidia driver is recognized and functioning well! However I still slowness in exporting images from darktable. I remember when I was on Ubuntu with same hardwares it used to take hardly 15 seconds to export 50 images and now it takes 3 seconds for each image!

2 Likes

Run darktable-cltest, and share the result here if you need more help. But maybe start a new topic, as this is now OpenCL troubleshooting, not distro-chat.

1 Like

I only have a few days with Aurora, but itā€™s looking very promising. Iā€™m kinda sold on the Atomic Desktop concept.

2 Likes

then what happened? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am the lead on FocusPoint Linux which is a six month old distro for photography based on Linux mint. It uses a heavily customized xfce as a de. I guess I would call it a remix of LM more than I would call it a distro even though we have our fair bit of our own code in there as well.

Some of the software it comes with is Gimp, darktable, rawtherapee, lightzone 5, quite a few icc profiles, tweaks and more.

There is a stable version released based on Ubuntu jammy and a early beta based on Ubuntu noble.

There is a problem though that we are trying to work around which is due to Ubuntu releasing an updated version og Glib without actually releasing a required patched version of xfce4-panel. We seem to have been able to work around that now, it just needs some more testing.

Other than mint my best experiences has always been on some form of open suse. I preferr open suse tumbleweed and always recommend that to people that want a stable, but rolling release. In my opinion open suse ta is fantastic.

5 Likes

Host: Lemur Pro lemp9 (System76)
Kernel: 6.9.3-76060903-generic
Uptime: 15 days, 19 hours, 6 mins
Packages: 1893 (dpkg), 59 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 42.9
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: Pop
Theme: Pop [GTK2/3]
Icons: Pop [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: Intel i7-10510U (8) @ 4.900GHz
GPU: Intel CometLake-U GT2 [UHD Graph
Memory: 8685MiB / 23904MiB

This is my current b/c the hardware (System76) and the OS (Pop! OS) are specifically Linux and built for each other. It supported an alternative economy company. Has been super reliable and has handled everything I have thrown at it in regards to graphic manipulation or database handling. The battery life has been good for a full days work.

Prior to actually buying a Linux dedicated machine I ran with Xbuntu from about '06 to '19 and love, still love, the OS for itā€™s simplicity. It was a light load on the system and balanced out-of-the-box functionality and being able to customize to taste.

I have a side laptop (owned since '04) for my ā€œmedia centerā€ that uses Zorn OS, which I was testing for a non-profit. There is $$ upgrade, but it works out of the box and is good for the typical I-just-want-it-to-work windows crowd. We were looking for solutions for underprivledged students to give access to technology. (www.mywoc.org if you want to check them out.)

Linux has really challenged the status quo and I love that the communities have built robust software to support just about every aspect of computer use. The only challenges come from the Apple, Windows, Linux edge overlap and these things will always exist IMO.

1 Like

Still installed. Canā€™t see myself picking anything else if the Wayland color management situation gets resolved. Iā€™ve layered X11 Plasma packages now. I hope that continues to work. The atomic way really clicks with me.

2 Likes

Great! I had one of the first atomic fedora distros (superblue?) on the old macbook a few years ago, then the opensuse one (micro-something) - both iterations made a lot of sense. The toolbox ā€˜containerā€™ was very smooth.

Probably an easy and safe sandbox choice for family members and friendsā€™ hardware as well.

*Fedora Silverblue, openSUSE MicroOS - Awesome Atomic | awesome_atomic

1 Like

I am not familiar with the details, so maybe you can help me with this: suppose I am fine with the ā€œatomicā€ bundle for most purposes (the desktop, the compositor, etc), but want to run a few programs (Darktable, Julia, Emacs) compiled from source so I can experiment with pre-release features.

How is this handled? Is running them from my home directory the best solution?

This pick is probably irrelevant for most super users around here, however, coming from low budget MVP laptops since ca. 2001 (Toshiba!) the giant mankind linux leap for me has been List of Linux distributions that run from RAM - Wikipedia - specifically SLAX and some of the puppy linux crossbreeds, DebianDog in particular.

https://antixlinux.com is probably the best newbie choice these days

A decent DE/WM and base boot image can be kept below 1GB, any application can be loaded and unloaded as needed. Intricate methods keep user data and updates persistent.

Iā€™m still tempted to try it out on newer hardware for photo and video editing purposes. RAM caching and disk r/w speeds is probably excellent on any recent distro nowadays but itā€™s just so much fun to fly on warp speed and utilize all the RAM more or less all the time.

1 Like

The right way to do this is via Distrobox, which is built in. Create a box with your distro of choice and compile inside there. Use the Distrobox export command to have the application show up in your menus.

Homebrew is used for CLI apps and Flatpak for GUI apps. If an app is missing in either of those you can always create an Arch distrobox and install it via AUR (or any other distro/package manager of choice)

3 Likes

Typically with toolboxes, ie. lean containers or virtual machines, sort of.

awesome_atomic/#toolboxes

2 Likes

I have been using Debian for servers bit more than 20 years and Ubuntu for desktop from first version. Migrated also desktops to Debian about 10 years ago, but was using Win10 on main computer last few years. I donā€™t like where MS is going with Win11 so now Debian 12 for main desktop also. Win11 is also installed but I use it only for some use cases I canā€™t do in Linux.

I have tested and used also quite a lot of other older distros. RedHat, Slackware, Gentoo, LFS, Suse, Centos and some others, but Debian has always been one I could trust.

Why Debian? I donā€™t need newest software for most stuff I need to do with computers. What I want is distro that is stable and doesnā€™t break very easily. And it helps, when any single company canā€™t kill it and there are lots of community developers creating it. IMO Debian is only distro that has these things covered. And If I want something what is not available in Debian stable I can just get the source and compile it.

3 Likes