What OS are you running?

Mint has a MATE edition as well. Firefox gets sluggish once in a while between updates.

openSUSE (Tumbleweed) … 3 systems

If anyone looking for a fresh lightweight 32 bit distribution you may want to try this:

https://plus.google.com/+AndreyGoreev/posts/5kEexCAEwVy

I usually use their XFCE x64 version which is amazing too but its 18.04 version isn’t ready yet.

1 Like

:rofl: I tried installing Xubuntu 18.04. Found it kept on crashing back to the login screen after logging in. So dusting off the Ubuntu Mate 18.04 64 bit dvd I burned, I’ve installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04 for hopefully the third and final time! Seems to be working a lot smoother this time.

No indicator applets crashing this time, following installation of updates during the install.

Fingers crossed this will be my system installed until the next LTS release!

Was it an upgrade or a clean install of Xubuntu? In some installations of Ubuntu, I find that the login manager or menu sometimes needs debugging or replacement.

@afre, it was a clean install (I have a separate /home partition). Anyway, I’m happy with Ubuntu Mate 18.04 now :slight_smile:

Try Budgie. It is light but feels modern

le sigh.

Ubuntu Mate 18.04 seems to be having issues again, so I’m going to try Manjaro again. I wonder if I’ll ever stop distro hopping?

Manjaro 17.1.10 Xfce installed today. Very sleek indeed! :slight_smile:

Try to do not update it too often and you should be good. I update my openSUSE Tumbleweed once every 3 months now and find it still being leading edge while pretty stable

You know that TW gets the security updates via the normal snapshot releases?
That means you are up to 3 months behind on those.

Tumbleweed is very stable for me (besides the fun with the nouveau driver), so consider updating more often.

1 Like

Also snapper! So if something breaks, just roll back.

And openQA before it even gets released.

Lol, managed to break Manjaro after a day!

So on with Xubuntu 18.04 :-). The login error was due to permissions from installing using a previous /home partition. Very nice indeed, after moving the panel from the top of the screen, to it’s rightful place on the bottom :slight_smile:

Likely a different UID assigned by default, nothing that an adequate chown wouldn’t fix.

FreeBSD is the choice here more than anything. It runs most of my photo and video editing software w/o trouble. When I need a little more horsepower (like GPU processing) - then it’s gotta be Gentoo, and for the occasional little bits I use Haiku and RiscOS.

1 Like

And now on with Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon. Hopefully that will be the last of me jumping distro!

GNU/Linux Mint 16, LXDE

meh.
Finding Mint Cinnamon 19 a bit sluggish. Shouldn’t be an issue with my hardware, 8gb ram, AMD A8 6600K quad core cpu and Nvidia GT1030 gpu…

So on with Ubuntu Mate 18.04!

Will I ever find my for ever distro? :thinking: It’ll certainly be a *buntu of some flavour!

Running Mint 19 Cinnamon here. Not sluggish at all with my i7, 12 GB RAM. I don’t like any of the default Ubuntu desktops, so staying with Mint for now…