What to do with curved horizon

Hi guys
I used hugin to make small pano and - like you see - it has horizon curved the way I cannot accept.

after an hour and a half I finished with this one:

I start with hugin to make pano, than import to rawtherapee where I can apply some distortion correction (to make horizon almost a line) and then cropping and leveling in gimp.
Does anyone know better procedure? It is very likely, that I’m making some big mistake at first step :slight_smile:
How you guys would straighten the lines? Maybe some gimp plugins?

You can set horizontal control points in hugin. That should solve the problem

4 Likes

The wavy horizon is generally caused by several things:

• Control points on clouds - never put CPs on clouds.
  • Incorrect verticals.
  • Bad lens distortion correction.

Bad lens distortion correction often has other signs which I don’t see in your pano, so the first two are the culprits. You should fix this in Hugin, not afterwards.

3 Likes

This really is the keypoint (and no control points on clouds, as Morgan wrote). If the horizon is distorted due to the lens, put three horizontal CPs in each frame: On the left, center, and right. This usually helps a lot. And remember to check the CPs on the +2 frame (e.g. 0 and 2, 1 and 3, …). Sometimes it’s faster to set the CPs manually than running CPFind and then deleting most of them, as you don’t need many.

3 Likes

Adding some automation to the above suggestions :slight_smile:

For straight lines, make sure you’re using Stereographic Projection - this will produce better lines straight out of a box

Then, there’s the ‘Straighten’ button in the Hugin’s ‘Move/Drag’ tab - Hugin move drag tab - PanoTools.org Wiki
using which may level the horizon, but not always
(in my experiemce, just using the Stereographic projection eliminates most of the problems so I need rarely use the Straighten)
For further finetuning the horizon, as well as foreground, background, rotation, leveling uneven series etc. I recommend using the abovementioned Move/Drag controls.
With all the above automated tools you can manipulate the entire panorama without having to add CPs manually.

Nice place, where is it?

p.s. I absolutely agree with Morgan, make sure you’re using ‘no CPs on clouds’ stitching.

Actually, the horizon is curved, IRL. :slight_smile:
https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=48.28032000002595&h0=3.0480370641306997&unit=metric

Wrong dimension.

That’s assuming the earth is a sphere.

Wasn’t it a pizza???!!!

I hope I find some time during holidays to experiment with hugin. Till today I found a place where I can move the whole pano with mouse and I can make pic look, hmmm… let’s say… almost good.
But it’s not what please me (if I can say that in this context ;))
The pano has ~47 or 48 pics and it took really lot of time to make 3-6 CP on each pair :slight_smile:
Balos - the place I really recommend to visit https://www.google.pl/maps/place/Balos+Beach/@35.5831025,23.5842373,16.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x149c5809c68e7ac7:0xe2cb9e4402502711!8m2!3d35.5792671!4d23.5887205
I’ll try your stereographic projection and let you know :slight_smile:
Thank you :slight_smile:

yeah :slight_smile: hahahaha :slight_smile: but not in that way like on my pano :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, there are also people assuming the light in fridge is off when the door is closed…

2 Likes

If you want to post the files somewhere, I’m sure several of us will try and stitch it and report back.

The horizon should of course be curved, though I understand that you may want it to appear flat.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea, I’ll put files on my owncloud machine and share them here, but tomorrow, cause it’s night here and I have to get my kids go to sleep now :slight_smile:

Oh, please do not go into politics here :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Jeżeli chcesz - mozemy pogadac po Polsku :slight_smile: )
Jestem Polakiem z Ukrainy :blush: )

So, if someone want to try with original files, there is a Balos file containing all jpgs.
It would be super, if you could give some suggestions based on that pictures :slight_smile:

1 Like

A nie byłoby to nie fair względem reszty towarzystwa? :slight_smile:

I will certainly take a stab at it!